Upgrading!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'll be getting my 55g tank soon and I've been really wanting some kind of "shark", or something that looks very shark like. I need something that will be generally peaceful and doesnt need a school. It cant be mean because I have guppys and angels, and I would also rather it not get too big. I know Im asking a lot so if there isnt one that meets my needs then oh well, I've just had a hard time finding a list of these freshwater "sharks". Oh, I know some one will suggest a catfish, I'm not against them, but I dont want to see big barbels that remind me its not a shark haha. Thanks! You guys are always so great at helping me out.

The best I can think of would be a rainbow shark, 55G should be fine

I know I am asking a lot haha I may be able to bend some of those rules, and yea I know theyre mostly catfish but I just dont want super long barbels.
I thought about rainbows and I absolutely LOVE the red tail sharks, but Ive already got a clown loach which will get pretty big and 2 angelfish and I wonder if the RTS will get too big or too bossy. I wont let ANYTHING mess with my clown for sure though, im pretty biased towards him haha

A red tail or rainbow shark should only be aggressive with their own kind.

Dennison Barb. It's a barb, but is also called a Roseline Shark. Peaceful community fish. I mean shark.

Banded Leporinus (Leporinus fasciatus) gets to be over 8" was peaceful enough 15 years ago.

+1 for the Rainbow shark,

i just added one to my 55G a week or so ago... he's not insanely aggressive but he will "play" with the 4 sunburst platy i have. he never actually makes contact but will swim behind them from one end of the tank to the other. i think he's(she's?) amazing. he comes to the top of the tank to meet my hand for feeding time and is no longer afraid of me, i think its cute that he'll check my entire arm for something to eat. it does feel weird though as most fish have more of a "peck" when they're checking your hand or fingers but the Rainbow Shark feels more like a scrubber moving across your skin.

i feel like a kid in a candy store right now but i love him already:D

Edit- I also have 3 Clown Loaches (all under 3" and a 125G tank coming in a few weeks) my RS sleeps with them at night and they all get along great... the only time i think i've seen the clowns and RS interact in an aggressive manner is when i stick Tubifex worms to the side of my tank... but them again every scrambles to get a piece.

over all, no problems what-so-ever with the RS.

I didn't see the picture the last time I posted! Bender looks awesome! I really think that's what I'll get, what's the differences between RS and RTS? Doesn't one have more vivid reds and darker blacks?

Yea from what I read their "playing" can cause some fish to stress out and die. It said "they can chase relentlessly, but rarely make contact, and this can stress out tank mates"

I went to an amazing LFS today and saw a couple other options for another centerpiece fish, but they weren't sharks.

I haven't seen any of my fish show signs of stress normally the "chase" last only a few seconds and it's not really a chase... And aside from the following he leaves everyone alone...

RS has a dark grey almost black body with all red fins.

RTS has a red tail fin and everything else is dark grey/black if I'm not mistaken.

I'd say get a RS I love mine

Maybe I meant what the difference between a red tail shark and a red tail black shark? I thought someone said they're different a some point, maybe Im nuts haha.

And I thought RTS get to be bigger, I just read that their max size is 4"??

I saw barbs today, and I did think theyre cool, but not exactly what I want.

From what I've heard the RTS will get much bigger then the time they're normally sold..
I think the average for the RS is somewhere between 5-8" but I could be wrong... Just what I've read

Maybe I meant what the difference between a red tail shark and a red tail black shark?

just re-read your post... sorry lol.

i'm not to sure of the difference between those two sharks, but with all the people who use this forum and their wealth of knowledge i'm sure someone can point out the differences

Edit- i'm not sure if you've ever seen this site, but its pretty good for info...
www.liveaquaria.com they have TONS of freshwater fish.

I dont know if I'd ever buy from liveaquaria.com, mainly because I have several great LFS around me, but I LOVE that site for looking up info on fish. The picture they had of a RS was more of a pretty light shimmery gray, I like all the fins being red but I really love the dark black along with the red.

I thought I read both of them get to 5-8" before but LA.com says 4, which is surprising to me haha

Not every site agrees and I've heard that size depends greatly on tank size, diet and water conditions...

I'm gonna see if I can grab a gold nugget pleco from liveaquaria.com next week... First time I'll be ordering from them so I REALLY hope all goes well

Congrats! Let me know how it goes with the site. I really like the GNPs but plecos get so gigantic haha, i'll wait until I get a monster tank for one of those.

I think Im going with the red tail shark, I just like the way they look and their dorsal is cool, longer and some with a white tip. Thanks for everyones help deciding!! Anyone know if they'll destroy live plants or any other tips on RTS?

Back
Top Bottom