URGENT help with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took a video and several pictures but it wont upload or email to anyone. I have tried several times. I first thought it was ammonia too which is why i wasn't immediately concerned by it but it only spiked to 2ppm and he was in the tank only a day when it was like that. His fins are also definietly fraying. I will keep trying with the photos.

Im not great with computer things (lol) but are you trying to upload the pics from your computer or from the cell app? No clue how to do a video...

OK I have exhausted all options and I cannot upload the photos at all. So lets say I treat for septicimia. Shall I treat the whole tank or do I need to quarantine the one fish that has it for sure? Shall I continue with salt to treat for Ich too or just the septicimia treatment?

I think I have managed to get a few photos now. Not sure how clear these are...

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 27
This video will show the pom pom and her white spot. The fish with suspected septicimia has now gone into hiding and I cannot get her out. I will try again later but i dont want to stress her.

The moor with the frayed tail and red streaks, sounds like fin rot to me!

The white moor and chocolate pom pom have it a lot worse than the others. The others have a lightly sprinkling whereas these two are covered. They were originally in the smaller tank. Not sure if this has something to do with it.
The white moors tail is starting to rip at the ends, thick red streaks and a couple of angry red blotches. Also a red blotch on the dorsal fin. The white spots on the tail are also huge compared to those on the body. It's like a large clump on spots. The pom pom has one large patch too. Could this be something else?

Theres bacterial issue going on with these two guys, likely in addition to the ich. Maintain the salt but your going to have to figure out how you can treat these two with the addition of a good antibiotic. Which I know you dont have ready access to. Methylene blue baths/dips may help here in respect to the external infections but I would treat them with a antibiotic or an antibiotic medicated food as well.

I have called a pet shop shop near my work and they claim to have anti biotics that treats swim bladder and other bacterial infections. Will this do? They didn't tell me the name of it. What key ingredients am I looking for?

Ideally, you would want something with kanamycin in it. Work with what you have! Just make sure whatever you get is compatible with salt and does not contain more salt or you will need to adjust the salt level in your tank so you dont overwhelm your fish.

OK I have been to my LFS and they tried to sell me some antibacterial treatment for swimbladder! After a long debate with the store manager I have managed to get the below

375mg of terracycline antibitoics- 6 tablets total (they gave me some of their stash as legally they are not allowed to sell it to me) apparently 1 tablet will treat 20litres of water but it doesnt say how to treat the water of how often. I was advised to move the affected fish only to a new tank (it will be uncycled ) and treat seperately as apparently it gets rid of all bacteria in the tank. Does this sound right, I dont want to stress my fish further by moving unnecessarily but that said I don't have enought to treat the big tank so I guess I have no choice?

I also have eSHa 2000 for fungus, finrot and bacteria. Apparently it treats fungal, bacterial and parasitic infections. It contains ethacridine lactate, copper sulfate, proflavine hemisulphate.

I am so confused now I just don;t know what to do for the best - help!!

I'm in Australia and when my goldfish got septicemia I was having all sorts of trouble finding meds. I feel your frustration. What I ended up doing was talking to a vet who sold me some antibiotics. I then made a gel food containing the meds and fed the fish daily. By feeding the medication it gets more into the fish. I had to do back to back 50% water changes twice daily to keep they ammonia at bay in a 40L tub and used a lot of salt. The goldfish is now as strong as ever nearly a year later. Hang in there!

Ok, the Esha product contains copper- I honestly would only use this as a last resort. Your other fish dont have symptoms so I would skip dosing the whole tank with meds. Heres a recipe for making med food using the tetra: Goldfish and Aquarium Board Article-Medicated Gel Food

Tetra is 'generally' dosed at 250-500mgs per 20g water. Water change every 48hrs and redose.

Last edited:
Thanks both. I will move the moor to a new tank now and will try to make the gel food. Am I ok to leave water changes to 48 hour intervals considering the tank will be uncycled? Shall I continue with salt in the tank too?

Will the antibotics do anything for the white spot? My pom pom is going rapidly downhill and I am worried she wont make it? If it will help her a bit I will move her too.

Back
Top Bottom