Urgent Question regarding "Seachem Prime"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmoney87

Aquarium Advice Freak
About a month or so ago I bought a 2L bottle of seachem prime (bigalsonline) I didn't notice last time, but today when I did a PWC I opened the bottle of the seachem and it smelled awful! re pungently bad like rotten eggs. I also noticed there is stuff floating inside of it. I know for a fact that I didn't contaminate it with anything so It had to have appeared by itself. Either way I'm worried that it has gone bad or created some type of chemical reaction. I really hope its still usable as I payed nearly 70$ for it! Does anyone know whats the deal with this? Also the bottle has no date of expiration

thanks allot,

Dave

prime does have a sulfur smell and i have noticed that there were a few little specs in my bottle as well. dont worry its normal

the first two times i used it i didnt notice it either. maybe with more space in the bottle after a few uses the product has more room to off-gas

I wondered if that was normal, I got prime recently and it started smelling awful. It smells bad enough to question its safety for aquarium use.

I give mine a good shake to mix it up from any settlement and evaporation. The smell is completely normal and will not affect the aquarium contents.

Here is a link from the Seachem site:

Seachem. Prime FAQ

The first question/answer states that the odor is normal and the presence of small black specs are normal.

I do notice that the odor is not too bad when you open a new bottle, but it gets stronger as you continue to use the product. It is normal as the website says and I have never had any problems with it. Remember to shake well before using.

Back
Top Bottom