Urgent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Promisedsin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gallon divided betta tank with (4) betta fish, (2) male & (2) female. The tank has a Tetra Whisper 10 and an Aqueon Quietflow 10 currently running, and a Tetra heater keeping the tank at 78°. I tested the water with an API liquid test kit when I returned home from work.

PH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: <5.0ppm

I had been battling fin rot which seemed to be cured then returned again a week later. I ran a course of Melafix, using a little less than directed, after a 50% water change using Tetrasafe Water Conditioner. The male betta’s fin showed a lot of improvement. Yesterday I did a 50% water change and was going to do another tomorrow to keep the water as clean as I could. I woke up this morning and turned the light on as usual and everyone greeted me, eagerly awaiting their food and everyone looked fine. I returned home for my lunch break and my male betta, Cantaloupe, fins are worse than they have ever been and he now has a white fuzzy lump on the top of his head.

img_1159556_0_593df19462427ee42d2977f43c23c339.jpg

My female betta, Blue, is pale and her fins, which never showed any sign of fin rot, are tattered and look like they are falling apart. She didn’t greet me as readily as the others did either.

img_1159556_1_220fb878e51bf346a6af7235a29f5ebc.jpg

Does anyone know what could have caused this? Any advice on how to treat it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hmmm A cottony patch? That could be bacterial or fungal. But since you treated for bacteria I would say that you should get some fungus clear. Good luck. I hope your fish get better. :C

How are these fish divided? Do you have 3 dividers in the tank? How often do you usually change the water, and how much?

There are two dividers. Males on outside in their own section and the two females in the center. I change the water once a week normally around 20% water change after vacuuming all the gravel in all three sections of the tank. Before I started dosing with melafix I changed the water every two days, around a 30-40% water change each time.

Ok. I would change 25-50% of the water twice a week, since you have 4 bettas in the same water, but until you get them healed up, I would do every day, or every other day. :)
One of my bettas in my split 5G's fins were looking ragged, so I started doing a pwc 2-3 times a week, and his fins are now growing back nicely.
Clean water is the best medicine IMO. ;)

I was doing water changes every other day and keeping the water as clean as I could and I think we identified the problem as columnaris. I wasn't treating for that as I didn't see any white patches but now Cantaloupe has developed one I started treatment for it right away. I did a 50% water change before starting the medicine and will do another after the 5 day treatment. And then continue to do them every two days.

Back
Top Bottom