Used Freshwater Rock for Saltwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. FishMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
This may seem like a dumb question, but I can get a really great deal on 200 lbs of used rock for only $100 that's currently in a freshwater aquarium! Would I be able to use this rock in my new saltwater setup? That would be really awesome. Thanks for the help in advance

Im also wondering if I need to clean the rock before I put it in my tank and what's the best way to do that?

What kind of rock is it? I would be inclined not to use it, unless you cleaned it really well. Boil it I think? Not sure about where you are from but you could probably get dry/base rock for that price. Or at least used rock from a salt tank.

I'm not sure exactly what type of rock it is but it looks really porous. The seller was using it in a 120 gallon cichlid tank that he can no longer have. I live in California and i havent been able to find any live rock for less than $5 a pound or any dry base rock this cheap either. I just read somewhere that I could add the rock and it would just become dead rock or base rock which is what I want because its a lot cheaper and it will become live over time. So boiling it would be the way to clean it? Heres a link to the ad with some pictures

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/3841130985.html

I'm not sure exactly what type of rock it is but it looks really porous. The seller was using it in a 120 gallon cichlid tank that he can no longer have. I live in California and i havent been able to find any live rock for less than $5 a pound or any dry base rock this cheap either. I just read somewhere that I could add the rock and it would just become dead rock or base rock which is what I want because its a lot cheaper and it will become live over time. So boiling it would be the way to clean it? Heres a link to the ad with some pictures

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/3841130985.html

Pour boiling water on it and scrubbing with plain water is the best way to clean. Boiling the rocks could cause them the explode because of gases trApped inside

I soak new rock in a water/beach mix for a couple days, scrubbing it done a couple times before rinsing. Never had any issues doing it that way. If you plan on keeping corals, you need to research the type of rock you get as different types of rock can leach various minerals, etc affecting water quality and coral health

I asked the seller what kind of rock it is and he said that its red lava rock. I did a quick search on whether its safe or not and didn't really find a straight answer. Some say its fine but then I read lava rock is actually bad for saltwater because it has anaerobic pockets that will build up toxic bacteria that will kill the fish. So what do you guys think?

Copied from the web:

"The problem with lava rock isn't so much that it does nothing (any surface which can be inhabited by aerobic bacteria will be in a marine tank), it's that it is infamous for leaching Phosphates into the water which have a decremental effect on invertebrates and corals, and also cause massive algal blooms. Honestly I'd probably also be wary of the bioballs in such a system because they're likely to capture and harbour such nutrients. If you put any kind of surface in your tank, do all you can to ensure it's either a calcium-based rock or sand, or a neutral virgin plastic so that nothing is being leached into the water."

The bad part about hearing from those that have used it with no problems is not knowing if the rocks have degraded enough over time to start leaching. It may be fine for a couple years, then suddenly kill your entire tank. Also the algae part mentioned would not be fun. I know it's cheap and looks great in a freshwater tank, but saltwater is a different animal am breaks things down much quicker and differently than fresh.

So don't buy the lava rock? I don't plan on keeping any corals or inverts. Was planning on a FOWLR. Does it make a difference?

So don't buy the lava rock? I don't plan on keeping any corals or inverts. Was planning on a FOWLR. Does it make a difference?

I think what they're trying to tell you is that even if you don't run into problems immediately, you probably will down the road with gas bubbles that are toxic and algae problems that are out of control. You can get base rock online for cheaper I think and you wouldn't have to worry about these issues.

I think what they're trying to tell you is that even if you don't run into problems immediately, you probably will down the road with gas bubbles that are toxic and algae problems that are out of control. You can get base rock online for cheaper I think and you wouldn't have to worry about these issues.

Thanks, I understand what they are saying I had just read online that if you were doing a fish only system it would be fine but I dont want to chance it since I haven't heard any pros from you guys. I haven't found base rock for any cheaper than this stuff, the cheapest is Ive seen was 50 lbs of Dry Fiji for $109. Ill just have to spend the extra money on base rock to be on the safe side. Thanks for the heads up everyone

Would limestone be ok to use as base rock?

Dont use anything but live/dry rock. No other rock hold bb like it. Thats what you mostly see LR/DR in sw aquariums. Also some rocks could boost your phosphates or hardness of the water. With that being said you would need an expensive test kit and it will give you many problems later down the road. Dont try to take shortcuts because you'll get burned sooner or later.

Not trying to take a shortcut, I just can't afford to spend $1000 on live rock or even half that on the dry stuff they sell in stores or online..

What do you think of BRS dry reef saver rock? Its not too expensive I guess. A little more than I want to spend but I do want to do things the right way.. Anyone use this stuff?

What do you think of BRS dry reef saver rock? Its not too expensive I guess. A little more than I want to spend but I do want to do things the right way.. Anyone use this stuff?

Put one piece in at a time. Dont go over your budget. When I started my 65 I started with 10lb of live rock. Now ive got 70lbs after a year.

I never thought of that. Is that ok to do? Say I sart with 20 lbs of live rock and then several months later I add 30 lbs, wont a new cycle start?

I never thought of that. Is that ok to do? Say I sart with 20 lbs of live rock and then several months later I add 30 lbs, wont a new cycle start?

Once the tank cycles... it doesnt have to recycle... just the more LR you have in your tank the more bb you have. Start with some small pieces so you can build a cave or 2 for your fish

My 65 after a year of getting LR
ForumRunner_20130605_091959.jpg

Back
Top Bottom