Used Sand Turning Black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright I just switch over to my new 72 gallon about 2 weeks ago. The sand that was giving to me was from an established Tank for over 2 years. When I got the tank the sand was still in the tank with water still in it. it sat for about a week till I had the time to rinse all the detrius out. Well that took awhile to do. After cleaning and putting it back into the tank I started switching everything over. I put the sand in my established tank over it. Today when I was cleaning the Refugium out I notice under the Tank that it was turning Black. Then I notice on the side of the Tank it was also turning black. Yesterday I moved around on one my LR and the bottom of it was also Turning Black also like if it Raw Sewage in the Tank. Should I be worried about it? or should I just leave it and let nature take it's course? Or Change it all out completely? Let me know...
Thanks

How did you clean the old sand? Did you thoroughly wash it in fresh water? If not, my guess is whatever was alive in the sand (which may not have been much if it sat in just a little water with no circulation or filtration for a week) is dead from being buried and what you see is actually cyano.

I'll try to get pictures so you can see what I am talking about... Yeah I clean it thoroughly I got most of whatever I could get out. of the Sand that was givin to me. The sand that was in my system I did not clean it. I just transferred that right over and added the water slwly so I don't cause a huge ammonia outbreak. But anyhow the Sand that's below was the sand that was sitting for a week I basically layered my sand over it. I don't see signs of my sand turning black but that sand that was sitting for a week is turning black.

Here are the Pictures of what I am talking about...
This is Under the Tank
img_1000320_0_9393e18abc545da0155e64603183ba84.jpg

Second Shot under the Tank
img_1000320_1_6e20806ea1327e28973c044aedca354a.jpg

Here is the Side of my display tank
img_1000320_2_d64d07b11f23873c99e1b25e28d648e0.jpg

Lmk if you think that's bad... :)

What you see is Sulfer Dioxide and that is due to dead spots in your sand. Get some sand stirring animals so that the tanks sand can be slowly moved to prevent dead spots.

In a few months you will start to see bubbles. That is your DSB in action. Your nitrates are been eated up by bacteria that live in low or no O2 level and the bubbles are the end product which is Nitrogen that will bubble up to the surface and back into the air. complete end of Nitrogen cycle.

Sweet... So I should not worried about it being contaminated? Enough said if so I have a Reefs2Go order coming in with about 20 Nassarius Snails and some sand shifting Starfish... Hopefully that will take care if it... Do you know of any other Marine life that would go to the bottom of the Tank?

How old is your tank? if you are at the stage that you can get some fish then some gobies would really turn some sand over.

It's only 2 weeks old... I had my Tank of over a year the 55Gallon Established. Since switching over to the New 72 Gallon my Tank never cycled becasue I transfered everything over with the same water and sand also Live Rock about 68LB worth which I need to get more... So basically the new one only 2 weeks.

Well Frank, looking over your stock list I would say you are good to go. Sit back and watch the grass grow. ;)

I personally think it`s anerobic bacteria. Everyone if they dug deep in their sand would find out they have it. Anerobic bacteria is good for consuming nitrates. It is found in oxygen starved areas like deep in sand beds and under LR. I personnally think it`s a good thing. JME

Well as long as it is good.. Then no worries... Thanks everyone now I can take a deep breath...

Um, sulphur dioxide from anaerobic conditions Is extremely toxic. If new fish suddenly release it you can have deaths. You should aerate the substrate or just stir it and remove the black stuff!

some anaerobes are good and some (ESP that develop before cycling) aren't--but if the black is sulphur dioxide it is poisonous in any concentration.

This is the quote. I`m not doubting you. Alot of people have DSB`s for this reason.

"Since I am discussing bacteria, I will also mention some of the many forms of denitrifying bacteria found in our aquariums: Micrococcus, Pseudomonas, Denitrobacillas, Bacillus and others.Some of these are anaerobic (requiring little or no oxygen) and some are aerobic.The bacterial genus, Thiobacillus, consists of eight species.These particular bacteria utilize organic sulfur compounds such as sulfide, thiosulfate and bisulfite in low oxygen areas as a substrate to reduce nitrate in our aquariums.The bacteria consume the nitrate and convert it to nitrogen gas, which gets released into the air through water movement and aeration.Some suitable substrates for these bacteria are in the low oxygen areas in the center of porous live rock or in the deeper layers of a sand bed."

Anerobic bacteria, that's the word I was looking for in my "coffee deprived brain" in the morning. I'm a slow started..Thanks Mike

Tank, my FW sand does the same thing, its under the rocks, I removed over 18 rocks due to them turning black themselves, like jet black.

I stir with life as well as a hair pik super glued to the end of my gravel vac,works best for cleaning sandbeds.

I was told it was bad stuff, I get bubbles from mine as well 55g been set up since two weeks before fathers day.

If you are worried about it, take a chop stick from the side, put the gravel vac into the sand, stir with stick under the vac, any bubbles will be directed out of the water column, just dont breath over the end of the hose, the bubbles it does release smells like poo.

If you are doing a DSB, do not stir the sand. Let it be and wait for your CUC to do the mild stirring. You will release more problems with stirring then not.

Back
Top Bottom