used the wrong ammonia help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac11

Aquarium Advice Activist
So im doing my fishless-cylce at the moment. I got my ammonia level up to 4ppm about 5 days ago and just realized the ammonia i used had a detergent in it (I beleive. It was the great value ammonia). Im pretty sure not I should not have used that :banghead: . The bacteria are starting to grow though, my ammonia level is getting close to 1.0 ppm on my test (Nitrites are 2.0ppm./Nitrates 10-20ppm. I plan on going out to get the right ammonia for the next dose of it.

My question is: Have I soiled my tank already by adding the great value ammonia once already?

P.S. I did 30% water change about 2 days ago because my driftwood is making my water a slight brownish color. I

I think most people would say that yes, you soiled your tank. I am going to go against the grain and say no, though. I think if you have just started your cycle, switch to the correct kind of ammonia, and start doing regular water changes, you probably (probably, but no guarentee) will be ok by the time your cycle finishes (the detergent will be so dilute or gone by then). The reason I say this is because 1) my sister once surprised me by cleaning some of my old tanks - with dish soap. I rinsed them a few times very well and never had problems. 2) I used an old mop bucket for water changes. I used just to catch WC for a month and them started using it for clean water also. Never had problems.
That being said, it would probably be most safe to take your tank and rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse once more just to be safe. Then start your cycle again. If you rinse your bio filter in conditioned water you probably won't be set back all that much. :) hope this helps

Do 100% percent wAter change and redose with correct ammonia. The next day do the same. A couple days later do the same again. And a couple after that, again. Do that a half dozen times before your cycle is done and that should get rid of it all.

Another way is use some carbon. That should rid the tank but I'm gonna agree with venymae. If the cycle has begun then there isn't actually a detergent in it. I get my ammonia from a dollar tree. It's a big liter bottle and is 100% ammonia. If there is more in the ingredients (if it has any) than ammonia then skip it next time.

To be safe yes do some major water changes.

Back
Top Bottom