Using a UV filter while trying to cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidpaul

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi fish lovers

The question i have is can you use a UV light when cycling (the light is inside an external filter) also see my other thread fishless cycle readings so far

thanks

You can. The beneficial bacteria live on surfaces in the tank, not free in the water column, so they shouldn't be affected by a UV sterilizer.

iknow the bacteria liive in gravel filter etc but can they live on surface of decor and plants

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

i thought a light bulb wuld short in water that's where im lost oh well some things imm an expert on others nt so much

Your beneficial bacteria will live on pretty much all the surfaces in your tank. They like the filter best because of the highly oxygenated water.

UV sterilizers pumping the water through a special glass chamber and exposing it to UV light to kill stuff living in the water column. Some people swear by them; personally I don't see a need for them.

BigJim brought it to help keep the algae down and kill nasty little pests that might get into my tank one way or another , didnt think it would affect my cycle but maybe it is anyway its off for now

lol wolf sure dont fancy doing a cycle with that filter and your tank lmao would take for ever mind you you would have the best water out of everybody on here

itd be pristine for months lol i allredy got 2 hob pushin out 100gph each idk the liter conversion for you sorry metrics were never my thing

Hello all!
I'm new here and also a newbie in the aquarium world but maybe my experience can help you.

I did 2 fishless cycle recently (7 gallons and 20 gallons - no UV filter) and it took me 21 days each

I'm in the process of cycling my 65 gallons and a 30 gallons with UV filter. I'm now at my 42th day and I can't get it to cycle in 24 hours :( Since 14 days, it's stalled, after 24 hours, I get NH3: 1.0 and NO2: 1.0 ... and won't improve.
I unplugged the UV filter 5 days ago to see if I can get better results and the 30g got the magic 0.0 for NH3 and NO2 in 24 hours (I put ammoniac so I reach 4.0 of NH3). I was happy so plugged the UV filter again... 24 hours later after adding ammoniac, I get this reading: NH3: 0.0 NO2: 0.5 :(
So I don't suggest to have the UV filter on while cycling, since I believe the bacteria lives only in your filter and not in the substrate and/or plants because UV will kill them all before. And you want those bacteria in the tank also, not only in the filter.

Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom