using marine buffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do any of you guys use marine buffer? I bought a bottle when I was setting up my tank. It says it safely raises pH to 8.3.

Just wondering if there's any other ways to raise pH cuz I know alot of you guys don't like to put stuff in your water.

My pH is about 7.8.. it's been slowly dropping over the past week so I'm about to add some marine buffer unless you guys suggest otherwise.

Yes, it is the Seachem Marine Buffer powder.
Just added it so let's see how it does.

Also I read on the bottle that I can restore trace elements with one of their other products.

If nitrates are kept under control, and trace elements were dosed, wouldn't that eliminate the need for frequent PWC's?

err

When I do PWC do I add enough buffer for only the amount of water I'm changing or for the whole tank?

I don't know if buffer "wears out" or whatever.

Dang this is confusing.

First of all, Fresh made Sw is a buffer. If you are doing PWC`s as needed then your PH would be OK. The correct reading will be right before your lights go out. If you can post what your PH is about an hour before the lights go out.
Secondly, your quote "If nitrates are kept under control, and trace elements were dosed, wouldn't that eliminate the need for frequent PWC's?"
I dont believe this to be true. 1) PWC`s dilute excessive nutrients that cause nuisance algea and affect fish health. Many a person I know and have seen on this site have slacked off on their PWC and then they are posting threads like "Why are my fish dead" or "my tank just crashed". I have seen it over and over. 2) PWC`s help to replenish lost trace elements that are used up by different fish and coral processes. I know you said something about dosing trace elements but they have no where near as many as a good PWC. In a marine salt mix there are 89 different salts in there that help to make up the trace elements. liquid doses dont even have half of that. Your tank is better off doing the extra work and doing PWC`s. If you look at my tank that`s the result of doing weekly PWC`s for 13 yrs now. Give your tankmates the extra work necessary. JMO and IME.

Thanks.

Yeah I was just curious about the trace element dosing and PWC's. PWC's are recommended by everyone everywhere.. so I will stick to it. I really don't mind them. Easy and "freshens" up the tank.

My pH problem is just confusing for me, probably because I'm new. I'm having a hard time reading the test results. The water has a purplish tint to it, but it's so transparent that it's hard to match it to a color on the color sheet. Should I hold it flat against the white part of the color card? I will have my LFS test my pH today.

I just need to learn how to get it stable.

How do I know when to re-dose with buffer? I guess just stay on top of the test results? It would be nice if I could just dose with every PWC so I *know* it's at 8.3.

Please forgive my newness :)

Yesterday the LFS tested my water and my pH was 8.3 and KH 12

Today my KH is 9 1/2 - 10, and I can't tell what my pH is. Can you guys tell? It doesn't match any color to me.

294mio0.jpg

2m7vzub.jpg

What would cause the KH to drop 2 in one day?
And is the pH ok?

The LFS was out of test kits for pH so they couldn't test it for me today.

Thanks for that link.
My problem would be a downward spike, which that article states can be very stressful.

I do not remember the numbers, but I do remember having a nice 8.3 reading from the LFS before I stocked.

Before adding the seachem marine buffer in the past week, my reading was around a 7.6 or 7.8.

I added the marine buffer twice (on separate days) and it's been two days since I've done that. My pH reading today is 8.0 at my best guess. The dkh is about 10.

Should I add more marine buffer? The buffer says it will stabilize at 8.3.. or should I wait and see what the pH does?

There is nothing wrong with 8.0 for your PH. If you can keep it stable then that will be OK. How often are you doing PWC`s?

If you think your pH is dropping there are a few things you can try. First, point your powerhead more towards the surface and get a nice rippling affect going. That will promote better gas exchange. Another thing that can cause low pH is too much co2 in the air in your house. If possible, crack open a window close to the tank and let some fresh outside air in. You can test if you have too much co2 in your house by first testing the pH of your water in the house. Then take a sample of your water outside and let it sit out there for a while with an airstone in it bubbling fresh outside air and then test it. If the pH is higher outside you have high co2 inside the house.

Any buffer that claims to keep your pH at a constant level (like 8.3) contains a high amount of borate. Too much borate can affect the reading on some pH test kits. If your pH is anywhere between 7.8 and 8.3 your fine and it's nothing to worry about. Don't get too caught up in trying to keep it at a certain level. It will always be lower in the morning after your lights were off all night and rise thru the day once your lights are on.

If you KNOW it's low, take 2 1/4 cups of Arm & Hammer baking soda, put it on a cookie tray and bake it in the over for 1 hour. After it cools, mix that in a 1 gal jug with RO water. Dosing this solution will raise your pH, but it will also raise your alk so keep on eye on your alk.

So it will always fluctuate a little bit?

Thanks for all of the info guys. I feel like I have a little bit of info now on pH, compared to when I first started this thread I felt I knew nothing and it was a bit terrifying.

You`ll be alright. Larry is the best when it comes to stuff like this. You can bet he knows what he is talking about.

OK, today my tank water is 8.0 pH, 10 dKH.. so stable since yesterday :)

I tested my tub of RO/DI water. pH is less than 7.4.. it's pure yellow, and dKH is 0 (instantly turned orange). I reckon cuz this is pure water... DUH! :p

I will test my water after i mix it and let it mix and aerate for a day and warm it up to my tanks temperature.

The pH was about 8.0
I didn't test the alkalinity though (couldn't find my test kit at the time, though I found it now).

That's interesting. I had a pH crash earlier and I used the buffer to get it back up to 8.0 in the main tank.

Does pH crash over time?

I added enough marine buffer to the mix I made to cover only what was in my tub. Then I did the PWC. I did this in *case* it crashes over time and because it's safe in overuse.

I might just dose the marine buffer in the tub when I do PWC's.. only enough to cover the amount of water in there. Just to be on the safe side?

Will test my display tank's parameters here in a couple of hours.

OK.. four hours after PWC..

Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates - all 0. How am I getting 0 nitrates? I have had 0 nitrates for a couple of weeks now.. and confirmed by the LFS.. so I'm not doing my test wrong. It's not that I mind it, I would just like to know why.

pH - 8.2
dKH - 9 (though 9 makes the color change, 10 makes the color change bright.. so 9.5?)

salinity is at 1.024

So my water conditions look pretty pristine!! I'm excited.. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to pick up my pair of black clowns this saturday.

Another question is, how do I control alkalinity if it is too high or low?

Back
Top Bottom