Using NSW updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
For the past 2 months that I've had my biocube 14g, and the 1 month that I've had my 75g tank, I've used mostly NSW that I collect from the ocean(my backyard: I have a house on the water.), but have used a little bit of water with instant ocean salt mix. So far I've only had 2 clowns die from ick, but I blame that on my lfs, because after they died, I ordered 2 clowns( 1 snowflake and 1 black and white) from saltwaterfish.com and they are doing perfectly fine. I've even used beach sand in the biocube and it looks great. In my 75g tank, I have 1 yellow tang, 1 snowflake eel, and 2 maroon clowns, and a whole bunch of inverts like shrimp, snails, and crabs. Using NSW is so much more economical than buying $44 dollars worth of marine salt to mix. There are even other people that I have met that keep loads of coral using only NSW. One guy even kept a Fu Manchu shark in his tank. I'm just discouraged that people keep spreading FUD about using NSW, without any experience in the matter. That's all I've wanted to say, hopefully helping someone whether or not using NSW would be ok.

Oh, and they cycle extremely quickly. Mine cycled in less than 2 days. I didn't think it actually cycled, but after checking ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates everyday for 2 weeks after being setup, I knew it had cycled.

Back
Top Bottom