Using peat moss to soften water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello AA members,

Well I found out that my CRS's aren't breeding because the pH is waaay to high for them. I say it's around 8ish, and I need it to about 6.5

Question is how I should go about using peat moss to soften my water, I don't have a filter on the tank so I don't know how to get it in there, because it's almost like a light dirt.

I was thinking maybe a nylon thing from my mom, but how much should I use?

Anyone have info on this because I have no clue.

Thanks,
Ben

im experimenting with peat moss in my tank. Im using a filter bag to put the peat in. I add new peat once a week and place the filter bag in the corner.

Did you see any change in pH because mine is still reading the same after adding for a couple days. First time was golf ball sized, then I added another 1/2 cup, still no change.

I have no filter on my shrimpm tank besides the sponge filter so I placed it right under that in a nylon legging thing.

I didn't know CRS were that picky about the pH for breeding. I know with our RCS they breed like water-bunnies and I never do anything to the pH.

I know from my experience with using peat (the Fluval granules) it took about a week before there was a noticeable drop. Only bad thing is that like carbon, it will "wear out" in about a month, you'll start getting spikes.

Back
Top Bottom