Using Peat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zonatedsumo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

Just joined today!

I have a question about using Peat I have a 120l or 26 gallon tank and I live in a hard water area. I have just stripped my tank out and starting again. I have been reading a lot if forums about using peat to lower my PH levels as it normally in the high 8's.
I am having a community tank and wanting to keep cardinal tetras corys Siamese fighter/beta and some zebra dinos. Now in the past I have lost my cardinals and I can only imagine its due to my PH. Could someone help me on how to use peat?
Ie is it better in a filter or in the tank, how long does it need to be left in or does it stay in and change peat weekly or monthly etc you can see what I am getting at.

All your help would be appreciated

This is how i was taught to use peat when i was a kid. You can do it on a smaller scale. I still use this method but i buy the bales from the hardware store. Peat Filtering your Aquarium Water

Thanks for the reply, I am some way off setting up my tank but s soon as I am ready will give it a go. So am I to mix half and half when filling the tank for the first time as well as when I am doing water changes. Running a fluval 206 filter

I just use Fluval's Peat filter media. I just put the bag of peat in my filter and it does lower the pH, but after a week your water will be BROWN. Peat releases lots of tannins that stains the water pretty bad...but if you can stand the yellow/brown water then go ahead.

Could I not just use for a short time then remove and repeat the cycle?

The easiest and most accurate way to lower ph/kh/gh is to use RO water. You have to figure out how much RO water to tap water it will require to lower you ph to the desired level. Then it's easy to keep the ph at that level by using the RO/tap water mix at WC's. No messing with peat that will flexuate ph as the peat loses ability. RO water is very cheap and you don't have a large tank.

Back
Top Bottom