Using Rocks from nature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezalfonso

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm starting a low-tech, dirted tank in my 50 and wanted to know your thoughts and opinions on whether one could just troll around the lake and use rocks found on the shore to aqua-scape ones aquarium? I live in Western Canada and we have numerous lakes with stoney and pebble beaches in the area. I was thinking of sanitizing the rocks and such by dipping them in a bleach water solution for a few days then rinsing them off very well. I use this technique to kill of live rock in my marine systems. Any ideas and thoughts or techniques? What about drift wood?

Thanks

One of the common tests that you can do on rocks to determine aquarium use is the vinegar test. Add a few drops of vinegar to the rock and wait to see if the vinegar foams or bubbles. Many people say not to use rocks that react, which is another commonly perpetuated piece of misinformation within the hobby. All the reaction means is that the rock composed of a carbonate substance and it will slowly break down over time and could change the pH of your tank. If you do this test on your rocks for saltwater, you will notice that they typically fizz. This is because they are composed of calcium carbonate and they help raise the pH in a saltwater tank, which is desirable.

Beyond that, cleaning the rock in bleach or hot water and soap (don't boil, as some rocks will explode if they contain air pockets) should suffice. If I suspect a rock might leach oils (such as shale), I usually soak it overnight in a bucket of water to see if forms an oily layer on the surface of the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom