UV Sterilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whats your opinion? Who has them?

I recently purchased one for my 55 gallon, after a lovely algae bloom due to a phosphate fluctuation in tap water. I've had it a week and so far I am in love. I was told to be cautious that it could destroy the good bacteria in my tank. So I've been testing parameters daily.

I never realized my water was cloudy until I the day after I got the UV Sterilizer. Looking at my other tanks, which managed to avoid the algae bloom, I'm realizing that my water was always a little cloudy. So, I am thinking of purchasing one for my other tank as well, but don't want to regret it later.

So, who has them? And what's your opinion?

I run them on my show tanks. My opinion is that they are beneficial, or else I wouldn't be using them :) Just gotta remember to replace the bulbs. To be completely honest I don't know that I can tell a difference with or without.

they wont kill off your bb, but if ur going with inline, you must make sure that you have a powerful enough unit that can handle the amount of flow (or above) for you system, otherwise its pretty much a fancy pipe connector. :)

I am going to invest when i get more funds a little bit down the road .. they also will obviously help kill off disease that may be introduced to your tank. (y)

My tank went green, very very green, added a sunsun with built in uv. Cleared the tank in 2 days. It's now so clear it hurts my eyes:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I say the integrated UV is useless, for anything more than clearing green water. The more complex an organism is, like a parasite for example, the more power and exposure time is required to kill it.

I say the integrated UV is useless, for anything more than clearing green water. The more complex an organism is, like a parasite for example, the more power and exposure time is required to kill it.

That's a whole notha discussion entirely.. hop in on the sw thread they have going now;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for the link - not sure why I couldn't find it. Nothing new there really, but I'll not be posting there since I don't do SW tanks :)

Yeah 36 watts and a flow that wraps around and around the bulb to maximize exposure time is a powerful unit.

I have a 55 gallon tank. I got an adjustable flow sun sun 13 watt. It's rated for a 150 gallon tank, so I've adjusted the flow to the minimum setting allowing longer exposure for the circulated water.

Back
Top Bottom