Vacuuming out BB??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been changing between 25% and 45% about twice a week. Ammonia steadily climbs slowly in between changes as you would expect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yours sounds exactly like my situation almost to the letter. I found a place online that sells active bacteria colony sponge filters to cycle a tank almost instantly( according to the reviews I read). I just ordered them today so they should come in first of the week. I'll let you know if they work for me. It's www.angelsplus.com if you're interested just look for active sponge filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That has me stumped then, sounds like you have everything covered.

While I've got an expert, can I ask if overdosing prime can either stall or slow the cycle down? Every so often this pops up as a possible problem enough that I'm curious. I know normal dosing shouldn't be an issue and that prime FAQ mentions no issues with nitrifying bacteria. I've also found that a cycle using API ammo lock overdosing seemed to complete fairly quickly with no issues but interested if something may be going on?

I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means. They claim that these type of ammonia detoxifiers do not affect biofiltration, but some people have argued against it. I don't know enough about the chemistry aspect to have an opinion either way

So I tested for ammo yesterday (4th) at about 26 hours after dosing with Prime, came back as 1.0ppm. Dosed after testing then tested again today approximately 24 hours after last dose and ammo came back as 0.5ppm...without doing a water change. Possibly getting some bacteria forming...crossing my fingers.

That's a great sign :D

Indeed it was, as it appears 8 weeks was the magic number and I believe my tank is cycled. My ammonia has been falling dramatically over the past few days and is now barely registering. Nitrites still read zero as they always have, however, the best of all is that I show a reading of approximately 20ppm NitrATES! Finally! :dance:

That's good news! The nitrite spike can be elusive. I could not detect while testing daily. I had to test every 3-4 hours to see the spike.

Back
Top Bottom