Veil Tail Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidsAreBoss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Morning everyone! I was watching videos of fish last night and stumbled across one of these guys! Does anyone own one? Or know where you'd get one?? I go to my local fish store every few weeks to see the new shipments and have never seen one in! There fascinating I never knew you could get oscars like this!

Attachments

• image-3869556110.jpg
    image-3869556110.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 789
There's also the tiger veil tail Oscar , I use to own 1 bout 2 years ago

Apparently they're more vulnerable to other fish in the tank as the flowing fins slow them down a lot , that's y I kept mine in a species tank, with 2 parrots and a pangaskus

This is not a naturally occurring strain, these like the red and tiger have been line bred over multiple generations to bring out certain characteristics.

Thanks for all info everyone! I really want to get my hands on one of these guys. There awesome looking!

I've only found them in one LFS near me, but sadly the old man died and the store closed :(

This is not a naturally occurring strain, these like the red and tiger have been line bred over multiple generations to bring out certain characteristics.

They may not occur naturally but they have, oddly enough, been introduced and created a weird half veil tail morph that has shown up in a few commercial fisheries that's distributing to Maine local mom and pops... I rescued an orange/ copper one when my lfs got a triple shipment of assorted fancy oscars and half of them were completely infested with gill flukes and other parasites...

Mine isn't half as extravagant as this, but after making it through fin rot and growing I noticed a definite flare to his fins I'd never seen before, all I can make out of it is that these are gonna start showing up more and more.

They may not occur naturally but they have, oddly enough, been introduced and created a weird half veil tail morph that has shown up in a few commercial fisheries that's distributing to Maine local mom and pops... I rescued an orange/ copper one when my lfs got a triple shipment of assorted fancy oscars and half of them were completely infested with gill flukes and other parasites...

Mine isn't half as extravagant as this, but after making it through fin rot and growing I noticed a definite flare to his fins I'd never seen before, all I can make out of it is that these are gonna start showing up more and more.

+1 to you for the rescue!

I haven't seen them anywhere and I have 4 Lfs in my area. I really hope they start popping up soon. Do you have a picture you could share with us? :)

+1 to you for the rescue!

I haven't seen them anywhere and I have 4 Lfs in my area. I really hope they start popping up soon. Do you have a picture you could share with us? :)

Thanks!! Believe me, there will be more and more of them- surprisingly enough I have seen a few longfinned, like mine. https://plus.google.com/113873023710482753193/posts/XYSV8pbXvtT

This is a link to video I shot of him eating a tiger barb (he had a stage where all he would eat was ghost shrimp and live prey- now he won't eat feeder fish, he expects to be handfed cichlid sticks and tear shrimp out of my fingers... Occasionally a hang nail, lol.

Thanks!! Believe me, there will be more and more of them- surprisingly enough I have seen a few longfinned, like mine. https://plus.google.com/113873023710482753193/posts/XYSV8pbXvtT

This is a link to video I shot of him eating a tiger barb (he had a stage where all he would eat was ghost shrimp and live prey- now he won't eat feeder fish, he expects to be handfed cichlid sticks and tear shrimp out of my fingers... Occasionally a hang nail, lol.

Love the color on your oscar! It's funny that you say that because when we rescued our oscar the original owner had him a 20gal and only fed him goldfish. We don't feed our fish feeders, so it was hard to Wean him off of them. We finally got him to start eating whole shrimp. Now ours expects us to hand feed him too, we're lucky though he's really gentle lol.

Thanks- he looks much better now- this was taken about a month ago when his fins finally started growing again-I'm gonna take some pics today I'll be juggling fish around... I'll post links :)

Back
Top Bottom