Very new to crystal red shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vikkiog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys just wondering if any of you had advice for me and my new shrimp :) The tanks 10g, full of wood and moss along with around 20 shrimp and two little filters. I have some knowledge on these guys from some researching but they were sold to me with the tank on a whim so I don't want to do anything wrong. The one thing that is bothering me is there some black algae on the wood, its really bushy. Is it something I should get rid of or do the shrimp gain from it? Ill be sure to get some pictures when they've settled in!

Another question: the man I bought them from says he never did water changes just topped up evaporated water with ro water and minerals. Is this the right way to do it?
Thanks.

Crystal shrimp need a much lower pH and softer water than cherry shrimp do. So the RO water is good, but usually needs to be remineralized to some extent, as pure RO will result in pH swings that can kill shrimp. Test now to know what it should be.

Many shrimp keepers get a TDS meter, which measures total dissolved solids in water. It can help with getting the minerals right, though they can cost a bit.

There are products, if not at Petsmart, you can order online, to remineralize with and mineral stones for shrimp can be bought, which help too. They also tend to do best with food made for them, rather than fish food. Also available online. Mosura is one good brand name. There are others.

Test water regularly and make sure the parameters remain stable. Changes are usually not needed as often as with fish, but may be needed once in awhile. Testing often is the only way to be sure the water is ok for them, unless you wait 'til they start dying.

Feed very, very sparingly, two or three times a week. They are scavengers, so overfeeding just ruins the water. A feeding dish is helpful to keep food from scattering. A clean clay pot saucer works well.

Do more research.. there is tons of info to be found. Good luck

Great, thanks, ive got a little tds gadget and other kits so ill test all the water in a little while :) just found about 7 shrimplets so should I be feeding them anything different? I've got mosura, mosura excel, spirulina algae wafers and Shield supplement. The seller told me to give them the shield stuff because its tiny enough for them to eat...
Also, what time would be best for the lights to go on. I normally do 6pm-12am for my fish tank because that's when I'm usually around to see them. Is the same okay for shrimp?

Tested the water, let me know if its good enough.

Tds 168ppm
Ph 6.6
Kh 2
Gh 8
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5

Pictures :) not very good from my phone, will get the proper camera out later.

Attachments

• image-3942975962.jpg
    image-3942975962.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 160
  • image-2952321372.jpg
    image-2952321372.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 147
  • image-133217865.jpg
    image-133217865.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 150
  • image-3677109631.jpg
    image-3677109631.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 143
Tank looks fine. I am no expert, but the pH seems a bit high, however, if they are breeding, I would leave it as it is, because they have adapted to it.

Baby shrimp simply need tiny food items.. and a feeding dish helps keep them all contained. Super fine powder fry food will work, and the stuff you have is fine too. If you feed algae tabs, feed only a tiny, tiny piece of one at a time. A whole one would never be eaten before it went bad unless you had hundreds of shrimp. Break them into small, small bits.

Lighting period or strength is not critical for shrimp. It's mainly to keep plants alive. If it is keeping the plants happy, the shrimp will be good too.

When you do top ups, you test the new water with the TDS and make sure the new water is as close to the tank water as you can get. A small difference is ok, a large one is not.

Looks like you are doing well so far.

So I got some Crystals for my 29g, ph 8.2 & no special shrimp food. And surprise! babies.

image-3715530587.jpg

Thanks fishfur :) wasn't sure if I wanted to keep them or not, some things I read sounded complicated before but I'm understanding now that I'm all started. Plus they're cute and the babies are tiny!

They are. Crystals CAN be sensitive, and much more so than most Neos, like the cherries. But some of the more temperamental ones are those being bred heavily for colour or patterns. Some can sell for thousands of dollars in Asia, but what we get here, for the most part, are culls from the Asian breeding programs. The hobby is not big enough here, as yet, to support those prices.

Other shrimp like Taiwan Bee, Golden Bee, some of the tigers, are much harder to keep, but basic crystals are not too difficult. They mostly demand very clean water, stable parameters and proper feeding and if you can do that, you can have great success.

Sometimes it is the ones that get mostly ignored that do best, which drives the folks who obsess over them nuts. But that is life.

Tested the water, let me know if its good enough.

Tds 168ppm
Ph 6.6
Kh 2
Gh 8
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5

you should lower the gh, while they will be fine for now. After a period( few months) of high gh like 8, they will start to die from molting issues. Ideally you want gh to be 6.

you should lower the gh, while they will be fine for now. After a period( few months) of high gh like 8, they will start to die from molting issues. Ideally you want gh to be 6.

Would the gh lower if I added more ro water? The water levels about 2 and a half inches from the top of the tank so I could probably add another inch.

yes, and if after you add its still over gh 6, remove some water and add more ro water.

yes, and if after you add its still over gh 6, remove some water and add more ro water.

Righto ill do that now and report back :p also found some tiny white worms crawling around on the glass but they're so small I can't tell what they are so I've just been sucking them out with a pipette...

do they wiggle around? They are generally harmless, all shrimp tanks has them. If you feed less there will be less of them. If you over feed, then there will be tons of them.

Yeah they do a funny little wiggle when they swim. Okay, there have only been about 10 in the last few days so I'm not worried, thought I'd mention it incase I've missed something!
I have to say, I find myself in front of the shrimp tank way more often than my fish tank now, feeling a little guilty :p

Gh is now at 7 :)

However... Some of the moss seems to be dying off, got some yellow/brown patches. Something I'm missing?

image-3254524294.jpg

And getting some brown algae on what was a completely green wall before.

image-2841160752.jpg

Should I be adding ferts or co2 without killing off the shrimp?! It has two clip on led lights, don't know how strong they are though.
Edit: also, the wood is growing black fur xD

green dust algae? are you dosing enough potassium & phosphorus? Seems like the moss doesn't have enough nutrients so it can't grow. where green dust thrives in those conditions (having this issue right now actually)

is the light different from before? might not be enough light if you have brown algae and moss is browning.

Back
Top Bottom