Very Sick Betta. Please Help Me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a very sick betta. He has very tattered fins, popeye, and is very lethargic. He was in a 5 gallon tank with no filter or heater and was doing well for about 1 month. I started getting an oily layer on the top of the tank and was doing more frequent water changes to try and remedy. His water became cloudy and I noticed a rip in his fin. I went to a local fish store and they said it didn't look like fin rot and gave me bacteria to change the water with. We determined that something in my tap water was too harsh and was burning his fins and killing my anacharis (I was dechlorinating). The water never cleared and he started having trouble breathing. He became lethargic but the fish store didn't think it was a problem and they said my water samples were testing well, though it was still murky.
I have moved him to a 1 gallon bowl with betta water and dosed with Melafix yesterday. I think the popeye started a little on Saturday. When I moved him to the smaller bowl I noticed how bad his fins were (part even fell off - I removed it from the bowl - and there is another big chunk I think will fall off). He swam around a little after being moved to the bowl but became lethargic again. He is swimming around a bit this morning.

1) What is he sick with?
2) How can I treat it? How often and what percent do I change the water?
3) Is he likely to recover?

Last edited:
Hi, welcome.

Doesn't sound like the tank was cycled - are you familiar with this? Also I'd have some sort of filter (and here a heater).

First up would be what sort of readings did the store get on water chemistry (ph, ammonia, etc).

Thank you for responding! I posted on three forums and you are the forsy to answer. I appreciate it, as I am very new to this!

When I first inherited him in March, I brought him home and put him in an uncycled tank. I was advised to feed him 2-3 pieces of food every 2-3 days. He seems to be doing very well on this system.

I believe the store said there was no ammonia when they took the sample. This was about a week into the cloudy water and after some pretty seriosu water changes. If there was ammonia, it was very low. They did not give numbers for the other reading, but said it looked great.

Evan, my Betta, seems to be doing better. He is still in the 1 gallon tank. I have been doing 100% water changes everyday and giving a half dose of Melafix. I read that pristine water conditions are required to help with fin damage and eye pop. He is swimming around and responsive when I come to the tank. Big pieces of his fins have fallen off (which I made sure to get out) and now the remainder of his fins looks fairly healthy (though still a bit tattered). His eyes look better, but are still a little swollen and slightly cloudy around the edges. How long does it take for eye pop to clear up? Should I treat with something else or continue on the Melafix until the end of the 7 days and then switch if I need to (today will be the 4th dose). I also started using stress coat last night.

I have a new concern also. I fed him last night. I rotate between pellets and bloodworms and last night was bloodworms. He ate one (or maybe two) but then spit one out and wouldn't eat it. I gave one (or two) pellets so make up for the bloodworm he wouldnt eat. This evening around 6 (almost 24 hours after his feeding) I noticed a large brown circle in the bottom of the tank. It almost looked like I undigested bloodworm. I'm not sure if he threw up, or if it's feces and I just never noticed what it looked like before. For the first month I had him, I had no gravel and never noticed anything like this. What could it be and does it require a different treatment?

Thank you again for responding. I appreciate it!

Hi, I'd suggest getting your own test kit (eg API freshwater master testkit). The cloudy water says unstable tank so you also want to be checking ph, nitrites and nitrates as well as ammonia. This will show if the tank is cycled or not.

https://www.chewy.com/s?query=api+test+kit&gclid=CMqSkYHQm9QCFVuBswodB4sL9A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also check your water conditioner covers ammonia eg Seachem prime. Prime should cover most tap water issues. I also test the tap water I use every so often as well to check on quality & any ph changes (which may suggest something going on).

Seachem - Prime

I'd skip the bloodworms for the moment and stick to easy to feed, high quality pellets.

Stick with the half-dose of melafix for now. Really the melafix is just to help, you're absolutely right the water is key. Does the tank have a filter and heater?

How often do you test the water with the kit? And when I move him back into the 5 gallon tank should I cycle it first? Or let it cycle once he is in there?

The one gallon "hospital" bowl he is in right now does not have a heater or filter - since it's so small. I just got a heater for his five gallon tank last week but no filter. I heard they do not like flowing water...

Any suggestions on how long I should keep him in the "hospital" tank? Or suggestions on how to properly clean the 5 gallon tank before putting him back in? It's pretty nasty looking (gravel and one large decorative rock are the only decor in there right now).

At the start water testing might be daily or every several days. On my established tanks I only test around once a month now or if I notice anything.

I would pick up some ammonia and start cycling your 5 gallon now. It should have a filter with gentle or adjustable flow and a heater if needed. Although weekly water changes are still needed, the filter (well apart from filtering :) ) also provides another place for bacteria to live and is generally a hang-on-back (HOB) one. IMO a filter is a must.

With the melafix make sure it is well mixed in eg change water (which should be roughly temp matched). Be very careful not to over-dose and also that it is mixed in water well so he doesn't get a cloud of it.

I'd stick with the hospital tank for the moment while the 5 gallon tank is sorted. Do you have a gravel vac to get gunk out of the gravel? On my 6gal I just run it bare bottom now to get all the waste but have been thinking of putting a pebble layer down to improve the look. Either way I find an incredible amount of waste accumulates on the bottom which needs cleaning.

I do have a gravel vac. I think I'm gonna take out all the gravel and rinse it really well in order to make sure all the bits of decaying anacharis are completely gone. Just rinse the glass with really hot water and wipe with a paper towel?

Should I be mixing the Melafix with water before adding it in the tank with him? I've been changing out the water, adding him back in, and adding the Melafix throughout the tank and then sort of mixing it around with the dropper. And when you say make sure not to over dose, you mean not going over the 1/2 dose with each water change? Is it ok to feed him after the Melafix is in the water? Or should I feed him before I drop it in?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm learning as I go. I just really love my betta and want to make sure I'm taking care of him the best I can :)

Last edited:
FYI a link on starting a tank. No worries on the questions :)

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

On the tank and gravel I'd just give it a clean as needed. Some detritus in there is fine and helps the bacteria. If cleaned too well, bacteria are lost (another reason to have a filter as well).

I would not go over half dose and would mix in change water if it isn't getting mixed well before he swims through it.

I find feeding either before or after meds fine.

Ok! I cleaned the tank tonight and it was very slimy. I wasn't sure how to get the slimy stuff out of the gravel, so I'm just going to start the tank over and go with no gravel for a while. I will read the article in the link you gave about cycling the tank!

I am noticing that his top fin has new ragged looking parts. Does this mean the fin rot is still spreading? Or could the net I'm using to move him during water changes be doing it? I think the net I'm using may be a little small.

I am going to be going out of town for a week and someone will be watching him for me. How long would you suggest I continue with the daily 100% water changes? He will stay in the one gallon bowl while I am gone - since I don't have time to establish it before I leave.

Also - if his eyes and fins are still not better at the end of this series of Melafix, would you suggest another round of Melafix, or switching to something like ampacillin?

Thanks for your help!

If you have someone watching the fish, a couple ideas.

Get a gallon jug of store brand or cheapest spring water for each day you will be gone. Have 2 1G containers for the sick fish. One he is in and a new one he goes into. Easiest for the care provider.

Have new container ready
move fish and plant,
dump old one, rinse well, ready for the next day.

Nothing but a fake "floating plant" maybe with rounded leaves so as not snag his remaining delicate fins. He can rest in it. You can add dissolved Epsom salts, pure no additives, no peppermint foot soak kind, etc. 2 rounded table spoons dissolved per gallon.

As you mentioned live plants can decay and foul the water worse.

You can calculate the number of days to make a larger amount of the water with 2T Epsom salts per day/gallon then divide into each gallon. Hot water to dissolve, after cool add your drops of dechlorinator to each gallon.

It is up to you in how the fish is doing on the recovery but medication would be a possible help.

Medications with origins of copper are usually hard on the fish. But dying is also a concern. Those meds will stain the container and or caulking green or blue.

A broad spectrum antibiotic may be useful, but it would be better to know which issues are the biggest concern or threat to the fish's health.

API Furan-2 is a very good med. Which Meds depends on your real issues.

Great thank you! I have one more question/concern.

Earlier today I think I may have had residue of soap on my hand and my finger grazed the service of the water in the one gallon tank. A few minutes later I was using the medicine dropper to mix in the Melafix bubbles floating on top of the water and I realized I had just sprayed a bleach cleaner and hadn't washed my hands off. My hand did not touch the water that time.

I noticed this evening one of his gills is flaring out when he breathes and the inside of his gills looks really red. What should I do? Is this possibly from residue on my hands? Or a byproduct of his other illness? He is also a little bloated.

I don't have access to RO or betta water as the stores are closed. Should I change the water again with bottled spring water or tap? To be on the safe side?

Sounds like he might be getting worse illness wise. But I would do another water change if you have dechlorinator you can use tap water. If no dechlorinator. Then jug of water. The Melifix is kinda foamy too.

His fins and eyes are looking much better and he has been swimming around. Is it possible for him to be getting worse and these original conditions be clearing up?

It is possible some of the external issues to be lessening, and others to be getting worse.

Bettas are supposed to have red gills and be healthy (but ragged swollen or inflammed is bad but the gill flap flared out is not a good sign and the bloating isn't either.

Did you put him in any Epsom Salts (not really salt - magnesium sulfate).

For illnesses I am still a learner so perhaps someone else would know which medicine would be the best shot for this guy.

I am buying aquarium salt right now but will pick up epsom salt to use first.

So I just mix the epsom salt into the water and it is ok to leave in there? Like the epsom salt is not sure for a dip or rinse?

Update: He is swimmingly around now. I think the bloating is all gone, as he is able to swim down in the bowl. I think I overfed him the other day, which may have caused he bloating.

Looking at his gills, it almost looks like the one flaring out is ripped. When he breaths it comes out farther than the other and little bubbles come out. It almost looks like only a little piece is holding the top on. Any advice on this?

Today was going to be the last dose of Melafix, but I have not given it. I had to do 2 100% water changes yesterday (after changing the water I thought i got a chemical in the bowl). After each change yesterday I did a half dose of Melafix. Since he got two doses yesterday, and since his gill looks ripped, I didn't want to give him anymore.

I am leaving tomorrow to go out of town for 1 week and want to give good instructions to the person who will be checking on him.

1) He will be staying in his 1 gallon tank while I am gone. How often and what percent should she change the water?

2) Should I treat the ripped gill with anything? Or will clean water and stress coat help it heal? Or epsom salt? I have read that it has adverse affects on Betta.

3) Could the bad water in the previous tank have caused this problem with the gills? It happened when he was in the old tank, but it went away after I started treating him in the hospital tank, and showed back up last night. I had to do a 100% water change twice yesterday, could that have caused it (due to stress)?

4) Parts of his top fin still look a little jagged. Is this normal for a healing fin? Or do I need to treat fin rot again, but with something else? There is also a spot on that fin that looks lighter than the rest, right above where it ripped last week.

5) I have spring water in there right now. I got some Betta water today. When doing a partial water change can you mix spring and betta water? And is RO water ok for Betta?

Thanks for your help everyone! I am not experienced at all and want to make sure I'm doing my best for this little fella.

1. 90% daily? I agree with Autumnsky's suggestion to have things all set up for the caretaker.
2. Clean water is a good start with the gill.
3. As with humans, stress in fish often manifests physically.
4. Fins heal slowly. Give it some time, especially now that he's in fresh water. I've bought guppies with damaged fins that took several weeks to heal.
5. I'm not familiar with "betta water." My guess is that it's remineralized RO/DI water, so mixing it with spring water should be fine. Straight RO/DI is very bad for fish. They need the minerals that are removed in the reverse osmosis process.

Great! So no one has had adverse reactions to using epsom salt with betta? Just a little scared to start something new right before going out of town while I won't be here to monitor him. But if that is what is best for him then I want to help him!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom