Very sick columbian shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TraceyB4602

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just bought 2 columbian sharks and last night they were both perfectly fine swimming sporadicly around the top of my 45 gallon tank. Now one of them has nipped fins which I know isn't from the other shark because he seems to be sad and keeps trying to help his friend stay alive, no nipping just keeping him afloat and staying right by his side. Anyways the sick one is doing the float of death but every so often swims around the tank. I have moved them both to my small 10 gallon quarantine tank to see if keeping him from my aggressive leporinus would help. Any idea if he can be saved and how?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-2197763189.jpg
    image-2197763189.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 139
  • image-2399876330.jpg
    image-2399876330.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 165
It will be from the other one. They can be friendly looking and still nip each other. The larger one of the two will usually be fine and the smaller one will often jump out of the tank trying to escape.

So you are aware, this fish requires probably a 300+ gallon aquarium, they are also fish which should be in brackish water (weak saltwater) when young and be moved to full saltwater when older.

Saying all that, what is wrong with your fish I do not know, but I am almost certain the nipping was the other shark. Plus, the sharks immune system could be compromised being in freshwater.

Yes I know how large they get and we are planing on getting a brackish tank in the future I just want him to get better : (

The larger one is actually the sick one that's why I was wondering if it could of been my semi aggressive leporinus doing the nipping is there anything I can do to help him out

Melafix and Pimafix help with injuries and bacterial infections, if that's what it is. :)

How did you acclimate the fish? These columbian sharks are a hardy fish. One of the very first fish I bought when I started this hobby 9 years ago. Mine are still alive and are about 12-14". The reason I say they are very hardy fish, is because mine went through all sorts of disease/mistakes I've made when I first started. However, I started mine out in a brackish water to begin with. They do A LOT better with some salt in the aquarium.

But back to my question, did you properly acclimate them to the tank? What are your water parameters? (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH). From my experience these sharks like neutral pH levels...I've noticed my sharks would crash and float in one spot (kind of looks like they hang vertically) when the pH would get into low 6's.

Yes I think it is due to injuries indeed he was perfectly rambunctious yesterday thank you

I doubt it's from injuries. I've had mine break their dorsal fin numerous times and other injuries from slamming into the tank walls (these sharks are very skittish when fully grown). These sharks can take a beating. Fin nipping/minor bullying will not make it sick like you described.

I noticed you have a banded leporinus...they will always nip your sharks really bad...I would not keep these together.

Ph 6.5
ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Maybe its the PH I don't have salt in the tank either. But from what I understood they are ok in freshwater until they get older mine is a baby about 2" long he is hanging vertically with nipped fins

They can do OK in fresh water...but trust me, they do much better with some salt in the tank.

Your pH might be a bit on the low side...you definitely need to get rid of the ammonia. I suggest doing a 50% water change asap.

I just put him in another quarantine bucket with my tap water that was treated for the clorine. my waters ph is high at 7.6 so I though it would be better to put him in it after your post. Can I add any kind of salt or do I need aquarium salt?

Ok well I guess I'll be going shopping. I hope the other guy doesn't do the same thing I don't know what to expect it just happened over night : (

Back
Top Bottom