Very simple dirted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
No buying 6 different ingredients, no mineralizing?

I have a 10 gallon tank to makeover from black aquarium gravel and nat geo "sand", to a planted tank with african dwarf frogs, for my son. He was give $25 for the project, and I have a $17 Petsmart card to put toward it, including replacing the tank itself because it cracked. I'm out of work so I really can't spend any more.

Dirt called with existing substrate would be cheapest. Is PetSmart gravel plus nat geo "sand" heavy enough to cap dirt? Is kitty litter all that helpful (I read about 75/25 miracle gro organic, and clay litter).

I do have seachem equilibrium for traces, a few seachem root tabs ... Would likely try to buy a $20 plant package here or on craigslist, or get mostly cheap amazon swords locally. Can't buy excel just now. Could spread the project out by doing dry start even though it would bore my 4 year old.

All suggestions would be welcome!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Just go with a cheap bag of organic potting soil and you'll be set. Just cap it really well so the dirt doesn't come up easily. And plant it heavily from the start so the plants can utilize the extra nutrients in the system, if all looks good after a few days then I'd put some fish in.

As for the plants, if you need bulk, I know a certain rabbit who has a nifty deal on plants, 5 bunches for $10, or 10 for $17. 10 bunches in a 10g would fill it up I would imagine. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks! I pmed you about plants.

Do you think cheapo Petsmart gravel will cap well? It's a bag of black gravel and a bag of black "sand" from the nat geo line at Petsmart, so not real sand but a lighter weight something. They're not horribly ugly and it's one less thing to buy!

Yes gravel/sand works fine as a cap, the key is just having enough of it, I try to have at least 1", preferably 1.5" or 2" of a cap over dirt. And I use a relatively thin layer of dirt, maybe 1/2"-3/4" at best.

It doesn't last as long as a thick dirt tank would, but it is much easier to tear down and relatively easier to deal with imo. And less issue with gas bubbles.

Cool! That will work! And I'm not opposed to tearing it apart in 6 months or starting to do more ferts.

Back
Top Bottom