ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CountZero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone used the ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer with the built in UV? I was looking at one and it seems pretty cool and I was wondering what other peoples experiences were with them. If I get it it will just be going in my 55gal FO tank.
Thanks
Zero

IMO they are a little gimmicky, kind of like an updated Skilter :D . For the money you would be better off with an AquaC Remora. We ran it on a tub with some freshly cured live rock and it pulled some skimmate out after a few hours. We then tried placing a Tunze comline and an AquaC in with the ViaAqua. Both caused the ViaAqua to cease skimmate production.

CountZero said:
Has anyone used the ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer with the built in UV? I was looking at one and it seems pretty cool and I was wondering what other peoples experiences were with them. If I get it it will just be going in my 55gal FO tank.
Thanks
Zero

I have one and it's junk, I'm trashing it for a remora pro.
It's loud and doesn't even do a good job.

Mr294, how can you compare a via aqua multi skimmer to a remora? Thats like comparing a pinto to a porsche. They arent even in the same class. I asked the same question on another forum about that skimmer and i didnt get any replies. Its fairly new and looks like the same design as a skilter. I would probably buy it over a skilter but im not really into the whole UV side of it, i just like the ability to filter and have water movement all in one. All i can say is try it and see, send it back if it sucks, cuz i wana know if its a POS also :)

biotoxin said:
Mr294, how can you compare a via aqua multi skimmer to a remora? Thats like comparing a pinto to a porsche. They arent even in the same class.

Exactly my point. The ViaAqua performs quite poorly next to it, so I would spend the extra $30 and get a Remora if I were shopping for a HOT skimmer for a smaller tank. I really like the Tunze comlines as well, but not everyone wants an in-tank skimmer. :D

Apples and oranges my friend. You are basing your comparasin (and bias) on 2 separate products that arent really even in the same category. I dont know where you got your numbers either. Marine Depot.com:
Multi Skimmer = 73$
Aquac Remora = $163

Where's that extra 30$ ?

I look forward to our future posts where maybe we can compare a paper airplane to the space shuttle 8)

biotoxin said:
Apples and oranges my friend. You are basing your comparasin (and bias) on 2 separate products that arent really even in the same category. I dont know where you got your numbers either. Marine Depot.com:
Multi Skimmer = 73$
Aquac Remora = $163

Where's that extra 30$ ?

I look forward to our future posts where maybe we can compare a paper airplane to the space shuttle 8)

In the original post he asked about the viaaqua with built in UV which retails for about $120 online. I paid $150 for my AquaC so thats where I got my numbers. I guess its about a $40 difference if you shop at Marine Depot, sorry :D Regardless the ViaAqua was designed to fit the same niche as the AquaC, a HOT skimmer for tanks of approximately 75g, and it does so quite poorly. It's mediocre at best as a skimmer, and the built in UV is a joke and clearly an afterthought in the design. The ViaAqua was also thoroughly outperformed by a Tunze only rated for less than half the tank size of the ViaAqua, and which can be had for the same price. There is really no point in wasting $70 or $120, either way its a poorly crafted, poorly performing skimmer. I've used Aquamedics, ETSS, Euroreefs, Precision Marine, Berlins, Excaliburs, Skilters, Prizms, AquaCs, CPRs, Seaclones, Tunzes, Amiracles etc. etc. etc. and I would have to rate it down there with the Seaclones and skilters of the skimmer world. :D

Whats wrong with a SeaClone? Mine pulls out all kind of nasty stuff. Is a pain to clean and gets pretty nasty quick, but it does it's job, doesn't it?

Yes i agree it will be outskimmed easily by more stand alone skimmers. Its failure is in its multi function. The uv is a joke obviously. The reason it cant skim (same failure as a skilter) is the shortness of the reaction tube decreasing dwell time. Its no surprise an aquaC remora would do much better. Im still tryin to figure out how CPR can charge 120$ for their skimmer. Im sure some kids for VOTECH in high school could make those for under $60. :)

biotoxin said:
Im still tryin to figure out how CPR can charge 120$ for their skimmer. Im sure some kids for VOTECH in high school could make those for under $60. :)

:lol: I agree 100%. My friend and I are designing a skimmer, thats why we have been testing models that run the gamut from Becketts and downdrafts to a Lees airstone skimmer. Right now we are planning something similar to a Euroreef in construction, but completely sealed so it can be seated externally. Probably a recirculating needle wheel venturi like the Deltec, with a T from the return to feed the chamber. I really like the Beckett skimmers, but dislike the large pressure rated pump associated with driving it. Should be an interesting project for this winter. :D

Back
Top Bottom