Volume for a catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redwulftech

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm kind of a newb so I apologize for improper terminology.

My neighbor and family friend is moving and offered me her " normal 200 gallon tank with a cabinet under it for filtration and stuff" so I assume 96″ x 24″ x 20″.
I've always found bioelectrogenesis interesting, so I'm really considering an "electric catfish". I've had a bumblebee catfish before in my 35 gallon tank, but obviously there's a huge difference.
My main question is the volume, I know this tank is large enough for awhile as the fish grows but I've seen several places siting the fish as growing up to a meter long and just as many saying about a foot.
The electric catfish has 19 species ranging from 4 foot max size to 6 inches...so obviously I can try to get a smaller species but the Malapterurus electricus seems to be the common one and I'm assuming regardless of what the store claims that's what I'll be getting and I don't want to stunt its growth(I'll find it a new home if it does get too large). I will try for a shirensis or occidentalis (smaller cousin) but just in case would 200 gallon be acceptable if the fish does get to 2+ feet? any other advice is appreciated.

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

I hope this reaches you as would be really interested in how this turns out. Length sounds fine imo, but the width sound short if you are looking at a 2 ft long fish. However in reading on these it sounded like the smaller ones were more ideal to learn on as the shock isn't as intense (down in the inches scale). I don't know of anyone locally that has kept these, I don't even know if we can get them.

Back
Top Bottom