Waddling Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there everyone,

I haven't written for awhile - the only reason is I have received so much excellent advice, that all my goldfish are thriving!

They are all very sweet and growing well. I was worried a few months ago that I might be over feeding them, and the response back in this forum was no.

However, now one of my fantails, Lightening McQueen, has developed a bit of a waddle as he swims. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404722219.961810.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404722303.816250.jpg

He also does a weird thing where he sometimes rests with his nose in the gravel in a vertical posture.

I can try and get more pics tonight if those attached aren't clear enough of his girth.

Do you think he is all right?

He is about to be moved to a 5-6ft tank with his 3 friends. I strictly change 80% of the water twice a week, and run an Eheim filter.

He gets NLS for breakfast, and for tea he has gel / brine shrimps / blood worms or goldfish dinner. He then gets peas for supper. I give everyone the same diet.

There are live plants in the tank, and everyone's favourite to eat is hair grass.

I am a bit worried - he is a sweetheart and I don't want him to get sick.

Thank you to anyone for advice,

Roz

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ps the thumbnail pic in my ID is Lightening McQueen as a baby (11 months ago).

My fan tail loves to swim in weird ways. I don't worry as long as he can right himself.

But 80% water changes 2x a week is way too much for normal circumstances. Why so much?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I find that Spotty, my Calico goldfish, gets mopey without. He is part scaleless, and I think needs v fresh water for his skin.

Is there a problem in changing the water so regularly?

I have read that some people change 50-100% water daily.

Here is LM and Spotty tonightImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404724497.335393.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404724561.415890.jpg

Please note - LM's dorsal fin is only down in the pic because he is swimming under a plant

I am not an expert, but large water changes of any kind are stressful to a fish. No matter how hard you try you are changing water temperature and ph levels, which stress fish out.

plus you will wear yourself out.

I had a 60 gallon with 5 large goldfish and 2 large plecos which means it was overloaded. And I only did about 30 to 40 percent water changes 1x a week.

The key to any good water change is vacuuming part of the gravel to get up the debris. But if you vacuum too much you lose you beneficial bacteria in the gravel and risk causing you tank to cycle. My LFS recommends vacuuming only one third of the gravel out of time and rotating each week what part you vacuum to prevent this.

Your guys are gorgeous. I'm getting a new goldfish on Saturday and I will have to post pics. I just lost three of mine to some bizarre accident that I don't truly understand yet.

I feel so bad about stressing my fish out! I feel awful!

I honestly thought I was doing the right thing for them.

:-(

Make it up to them by getting some red leaf lettuce and hanging it in their tank. It's good for goldfish because it mimics their natural food and helps digestion.

I wouldn't feel too bad. You meant well.

I find that Spotty, my Calico goldfish, gets mopey without. He is part scaleless, and I think needs v fresh water for his skin.

Is there a problem in changing the water so regularly?

I have read that some people change 50-100% water daily.

Roz, your wc schedule is fine and your fish are happy, healthy and thriving!!! No need to question or change what is working obviously well! :)

Can you post a full pic of your waddler? My guess is you have a female thats maturing.

Thank you for your note - I have felt awful all afternoon, thinking I have imposed on my beloved fish unduly.

I will keep up the same water schedule because it does seem to make a difference in how the fish feel - they are much perkier after, and having a hefty schedule minimises water-related issues.

I'll send a better picture of Lightening McQueen in an hour or so.

Thank you again,

Roz :)

Dear JLK

Some more pics of Lightening McQueen

Thanks, Roz!!

LM's girth really is not a concern. I believe the developing 'waddle' is not girth-related but simply is due to how he (or she) is developing physically. The first pic in this group of pics displays it the best. If you look closely at the top line of LM from nose to the base of the tail, you can see how strong the curvature is along the spine to the tail base (peduncle) and the sharp downward angle to where the tail sits. LM is not built for forward propulsion like a comet (with a streamline design) but for 'waddling'. Ranchus and short tail ryukins display this physical build the best and are well known for their 'waddle' but many other fancy breeds waddle, too! It's something that becomes more pronounced with growth and development and my guess is LM's waddle has been gradually more evident with time. Unless there is something amiss that is a cause for concern, don't stress over your waddler! :)

Thanks, JLK

I was rather worried that he may be getting porky, and so having trouble moving. The waddle has become quite pronounced over the last few months.

My questions might seem rather basic at times - unfortunately, there aren't many places to go and see healthy mature fish in Melbourne, and you never can be sure what are and aren't healthy fish on YouTube.

I hope you don't mind - your advice is always invaluable.

Thank you :)

Thanks, JLK

I was rather worried that he may be getting porky, and so having trouble moving. The waddle has become quite pronounced over the last few months.

My questions might seem rather basic at times - unfortunately, there aren't many places to go and see healthy mature fish in Melbourne, and you never can be sure what are and aren't healthy fish on YouTube.

I hope you don't mind - your advice is always invaluable.

Thank you :)

Don't mind at all, Roz!!! Happy to help where I can! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom