Waiting almost a month for fish. Should I reconsider?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Carey. We did break up some of the larger rock, that's what is on the bottom. The problem is the largest one in the center is the best looking and has 5-6 frags that came on it. They were open, but have closed up for now. I am trying to give them the best position in the tank and don't want to chance damaging them by breaking that rock. There is room to swim in front of the rock and above it, as well as LOTS of caves and hiding places! I like how you have your rock, but isn't there a chance it could fall? Thanks, Julie.

I certainly hope it won't fall. lol I tried to brace as much as i could I even did the wiggle \test with them and they seem solid.

I also got a huge colony of dying palythoas on a piece of large rock, I didn't break that one cause I'm trying to save them. They look 1000% better already. :)

Do you have an overflow? Just make sure they can't get into your filter. I have small semi-picassos and both have taken a closeup tour of my plumbing. I added fiberglass screen and they can't get in now

I'm just running a regular tank, no overflow or sump. I will be watching them like a hawk you can bet on that! LOL

I looked in the tank and didn't see one an started to freak out. Finally looked in the overflow and he was stuck to the intake strainer. Not fun!

The very next night, the other did the same thing! My heart couldn't take much more. I had to flush them down the drain pipe into the sump and fish them out.

They're absolutely fine and cannot go exploring anymore, though they still go over there. I think they are just adrenaline junkies

I'll have to keep an eye on my HOB and my HOB skimmer. Now I have that and the powerheads to worry about. I'm so afraid they will be tossed violently into the rocks.

I feel like a kid at Christmas! It's only about 13 hours til I can pick them up. I've re-arranged the rock in my tank a dozen times and I'm still not happy with it. :-( I want the babies to go into a perfect tank. I'm trying to get any sharp edges away from the water flow in case they get tossed around.
So much preparing for 2 little fish. i know I sound psycho and obsessed but this hobby has turned into an obsession.

Carey, the time is getting closer! I hadn't thought about sharp edges...planning to rearrange rock again after work today. I think my problem is getting 35 lbs of rock into a 14x30 arc...here is yesterday's attempt...open to suggestions, Julie.

Attachments

• image-3791011663.jpg
    image-3791011663.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 98
Hi Julie. :)

is the large rock on the left the one with some frags? Are the frags on a frag mount cause you can break them off if they are glued I hear. But anyway, maybe that larger rock can be turned upside down or sideways? Or maybe angled upwards, you have plenty of space above your formation.
I just re did my rock yesterday and I'm not happy with the larger rock on the right. I'd love to break it but no guarantee on how it will break up. I'm gonna re do the rock one more time. LOL It's almost time to pick up my babies!

I'm glad I can make this journey with others. Its' so much more fun!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 104
I like the set up just like it is! Dont drive yourself crazy!!! Do t forget: they survive in the wild just fine, and mother earth is way rougher with them than you could ever be ;)
They'll be fine!!!!
Good luck and keep me updated!!!

Just got home with my babies! They are so tiny! Got them acclimating right now. The only picture I could get is a bit fuzzy but they are quick and small. LOL

Cant wait to put them in the big tank! I hope they like it in there, I've been trying so hard to make it perfect for them.

:)

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 105
Got them both in safely and they seem ok. Thye went straight to the intake on my hob filter and are swimming in the flow. They've been doing this for the last twenty minutes. Such silly little fish. The blenny is just on a rock staring at them. LOL

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 159
Oh wow, they look GREAT! Are they eating?
My general rule is: if it's eating then it's doing great lol
Keep us posted

I would start with a goby or a blenny because their least aggresive, that's what i did or just start with acouple snails

They ate about 2 hours after going into the tank! Like they were starving in fact. Little buggers... Now I find myself hovering over them to make sure they dont get hurt somehow.

How long do you think I can leave the skimmer and power heads off for? Everything is running but I'm afraid they will get caught in the grates of my HOB Remoras skimmer box.
What do ya think folks?

Came on here just to check if you got them :) haha they look great! You could put a sponge on any intakes you have just to be sure they don't get sucked up. I usually get a square one and cute a small hole in it to put the tube in...or a long one and just wrap it around the intake with an elastic. Just make sure they are quite porous so it doesn't slow the water flow too much.

Thanks so much!

I jimmy rigged a filter sponge to block the skimmer baffle so I think I can sleep tonight.

Feel like a new mom with a newborn first day outta the hospital

Hi kelsey!

They are doing so great! They are eating like little pigs lol. I'm still always hovering over them cause they are still so small but I love them to death. I am so glad I waited for these guys.

Hear that everyone, waiting it out is worth every day of waiting!

I'm still really excited, can you tell? lol

Back
Top Bottom