Walmart's Betas... disgusted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millerb7

Aquarium Advice Activist
So today, I went to my LFS (Jack's Aquarium) to just browse and get a list for my 29 gallon community tank that is still going through it's cycle. I'm going to have a beta in that tank so my GF was picking one out and fell in love with two. So I picked them both up. One for my community tank and the other one for on it's own.

Well I can't leave the little guy on his own in that dish they have him in, so I went to walmart to pick up a nice 5 gallon tank for him to chill in with a few shrimp. He'll be king of the tank.

Anyways, to my disgusted part... as I was in walmart I noticed they had about 12 betas in little plastic cups (nothing out of the ordinary here) but OMG the water conditions were HORRIBLE! Water was green in most, black in some, the betas were all up on their sides barely alive, 3 of them were already dead. I was horrified. I immediately asked for a manager to an associate and made the manager change the water in all the betas and get rid of the three that were already dead.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I mean is there any regulations or anything? I mean I know they aren't dogs or cats... but... it was just down right disgusting and cruel. Any numbers to call for this or anything?

Needless to say my GF now wants to go back tomorrow and buy some of them to save them.... even a little 1.5 gallon tank would be better than what they are in, and they'd have clean water.

Technically if they just gave me a few of them, they'd really be saving money. They wouldn't have to waste a paid associates time changing out the water. I mean they're all going to die always, why not give them to a home who will take care of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to help is to not buy them. Remember that for every fish you "rescue" from those conditions...they only order another to take it's place. The next fish will be exposed to the same conditions and the store will be making a profit and a reason to continue selling them in the future. I know it's hard to walk away...but it's for the greater good. Only when these stores realize it's not profitable to sell animals in these environments will change come about.

eco23 said:
The best way to help is to not buy them. Remember that for every fish you "rescue" from those conditions...they only order another to take it's place. The next fish will be exposed to the same conditions

Or worse conditions... :( I hate walmart fish sections. It makes me sick to my stomach. At my local one, they had bettas in cups with only one inch of water... (:mad: grrrr)

Sorry if I offend anyone but I NEVER shop @ walmart for anything!! I dislike them for numerous reasons too many to count!! And I've never ever purchased any fish or any type of aquarium supplies, from them but I've heard a lot of nightmare stories from numerous people about their fish dept!

I know exactly what u mean my local walmart is so foul that my gf was in tears.E ery single tank had multiple dead or dying fish in it.It was appalling to see the way large company's thibk of living creatures.

Many Walmart's have closed down their "live" fish portion of their pet dept. recently. This trend may continue if enough people write real letter's, not just email, to corporate about the atrocities they've found at their local store.
We can vent here all we want but that only helps us. Email's get ignored, but when someone takes the time time to send a well written letter, it gets noticed.
It takes a little more of your time and costs you a stamp, but it garners more attention than a simple email.

Letters to corporate, to the local stores, perhaps your area SPCA, PETA (I don't like PETA but who knows...it might help or at least the threat of contacting them), news papers, ect....the more these conditions are brought to light and the more people are informed of how fish are supposed to be treated and housed...maybe it will help. And don't stop...the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Honestly, Walmart is not going to loose any money by not selling live fish so it won't hurt them to stop selling them. Bad publicity will hurt them more and I am sure they will want to avoid that.

I was very (pleasantly) surprised to find my local walmart is starting to phase out their fish department, starting with the bettas. It was a relief to see their betta shelves full of clearance items instead, and half their regular tanks empty.

One of mine actually upgraded their display tanks. They look nice, fish are healthy, test kit and prime bottle next to the sink, something is happening there lol.

One of mine actually upgraded their display tanks. They look nice, fish are healthy, test kit and prime bottle next to the sink, something is happening there lol.

WOW, my Walmart doesn't even carry test kits or Prime. They only carry safe start and don't even have test strips. They carry 1g, 2.5g, 3.5g, 5g, 10g tanks while selling Betta's, Koi, Bala Sharks and Common Plecos. It makes me crazy to even look at at their fish dept.
They let people buy a 1-2.5g tank for a Betta and the 10g for the Bala's and the Common Pleco.
When I hear it I speak up, but so many people are inclined to believe the store employee over a patron, it's tragic.

Yeah my walmarts fish section was closed for months and now it just reopened. Still as bad as it was before instead now they have goldfish!
:( there must have been 2-3 dead goldfish already in every tank and tons of dead alge eaters. it makes me sick

Walmart in my area once had fish. The bettas were actually in worse conditions. they were kept in drinking glasses, from shot glasses to tall milk glasses. the fish had more fish dead than alive. :(

PETA doesn't need to get involved in anything in the aquarium industry IMO. If it were up to them, there would not be an aquarium industry.
Fish in Tanks? No, Thanks! | PETA.org

Interesting article. But they cant lump us in there! its not like we dont know they inject dye and hormones etc. and im pretty sure none of us support the idea of it. as for the other stuff, i admit i didnt know that. but im fairly certain we make up for it!

Interesting article. But they cant lump us in there! its not like we dont know they inject dye and hormones etc. and im pretty sure none of us support the idea of it. as for the other stuff, i admit i didnt know that. but im fairly certain we make up for it!

That's exactly what PETA does. They are extremists who would say that any form of fishkeeping is animal cruelty. They twist their sources out of context to write "articles" like this and their voices do NOT belong in the aquarium industry at all. They do not deal in factual information.

WalMart is not the only chain with poor conditions for fish. One of the chain stores Pet Supplies Plus near me often has MANY dead fish floating in their tanks any time i go there. I refuse to purchase any fish there.

Back
Top Bottom