Want Some rams, and some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExoticAquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi there! The other day I was at a pet store ( not my LFS ) and was looking at their tanks. Suddenly, two little yellow flashes darted from behind a rock and looked at me. They were golden rams. They chased my fingers and watched my walk around and I decided I had to get some of those spunky little guys. I have an LFS that sells quality wild, blue, bolivian, electric blue, longfin, and golden rams. I was thinking of buying a pair of longfin golden rams. The problem is I don't know if I should get them, because I am afraid I won't be able to care for them properly. If I up my water changes to 25% twice a week would that be okay? Is my pH (7.4) too high? Do they only need live plants? Is my tank (29 gal. tall) too small? I came here to get advice from real people with experience and opinions about if I should go ahead and get some or wait until I can care for them properly. My tank is sparsely planted on one side with a patch of sand for my cory cats, it has a floating plant for endler fry, and it's densely planted on one side. All plants are plastic except one anubias nana. The other fish are 6 cardinal and 5 diamond tetras, 2 pearl gouramis, 7 endlers, 4 cory cats, and that's it. I'm worried about the diamond tetras and the gouramis being too aggressive and nippy for the rams or the plastic plants shredding their fins. Thanks for helping me with my ram problem.:fish1:

About the pH, what pH are the store tanks ?

You would need to up your water changes. Rams need pristine water and they often like warmer temperatures. If the store is a good store, see what conditions they are using and then see if your home tank can duplicate that without killing off your other fish. Depending on your species of Cory not all like warmer water.

Read up on Rams. We are here to help, but you still need to do your own research as well.

A 29 gallon should be large enough. I'm a firm believer in live plants, so I'm prejudiced that way.

See what temps your other fish can handle. With rams, your water changes would more likely be 50% once a week.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+889+1084&pcatid=1084

This was my 10g. That's an Indian almond leaf lying on the bottom.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422904160.226810.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. I've researched the heck out of those guys. I am saving up for a completely planted tank. The store isn't local but the pH is 7.6. I was thinking of drip acclimating them for 3 hours. Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of starting with 2 quarter size veil angels, then a pair of bolivians, then blue rams. Nice tank btw.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Thanks. I've researched the heck out of those guys. I am saving up for a completely planted tank. The store isn't local but the pH is 7.6. I was thinking of drip acclimating them for 3 hours. Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of starting with 2 quarter size veil angels, then a pair of bolivians, then blue rams. Nice tank btw.

Don't do 2 pairs unless it's a big tank.
Territorial remember.

Bolivians and GBR need same territory. More than one pair of dwarf Cichlids is A recipe for disaster unless it's a large long tank to allow for multiple territories.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mostly only territorial when breeding, which I have no plans for. It's a 29 tall, and I have plans to get rid of all stock, and replace it with 2 bolivian rams and maybe 10-16 emperor tetras. I would buy some coconut half-husks for the rams to hide in. Once again, Thanks.

Oh, and im going to replace all the plastic plants with java moss, water sprite (floating), and more anubias.

Back
Top Bottom