want to build a frog pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

This spring we would like to take on the challange of building a frog pond. We live in Western Mass and would like to know if you have any suggestions as we are new to this. Like, what plants would work well for our area, and basically anything else that may help. We are not putting in fish, this is just for the local tree frogs that already inhabit our yard and try breeding in the pool.

Thanks! :)

You can never go wrong with hardy lilies and a few floating plants such as hyacinth and water lettuce. Maybe a taro to provide a bit of shade, and an elevated platform to stand on.

What are you planning on as far as the actual pond? Size, depth, filtration, etc?

Also, I would not go entirely no fish. Throw in a few cheap mosquito fish or guppies to make sure you don't get mosquito larvae.

I just came up with this idea yesterday, so I don't have much planned and don't really know anything about ponds. Um, as far as the size, maybe like 4-5 feet long or so and some sort of bean shape, probably not very deep maybe like 2 feet in the middle then graduating up from there, one side very shallow. I don't really know much about filtration, I figured as long as I had a pump to keep the water moving I wouldn't get mosquitoes, and if any did happen to try to breed the frogs would just eat them. Do you think I definately need a filter? Also, do they make solor pumps and filters? That way I don't need to run electricity.

Back
Top Bottom