want to set up quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andreahp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking to get a 10gal tank for quarantine/medicating, etc. I'm looking for recommendations for a filter/heater, etc. I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible - do I need to get decorations of any kind (plastic plants or other hiding areas). I've read that I don't need to keep it running all the time. I tried looking on Craigslist but there's nothing really available in my area. The packages offered at Petsmart, etc are kind of expensive. How can I cycle it quickly?

I have a 5 gallon start kit from Walmart. I know many don't recommend those kits for a display tank because they are often underfiltered, but the 5 gallon kit is only around $30 (I think I paid less than that in store) and comes with an Aquatech filter rated for 15 gallons. I run the Aquatech as an extra filter on my main tank to keep good bacteria in it so that it can be transferred to my QT when needed. I just take the filter off and add it to the 5 gal and immediately have a tank a ready to go.

I wouldn't worry about having a ton of ornaments in a hospital tank. If you want to have something in there to help the fish relax and feel more secure, use plastic plants and decor items that can be disinfected easily. Many recommend no substrate for a QT.

+1 keeping the filter on the main tank to keep cycled

You could get a small heater from walmart, Its a cheap brand and it has worked for me.

As far as the filter, you could do a simple DIY sponge filter, they are cheap and very easy to make.

For the cycle, just leave the filter on the main tank, then once you need it, fill the QT up, add the filter and it should be cycled ;)

You could do a barebottom tank for the QT and If you want to, like said above, You could add a couple decorations, I will help make the fish feel secure and escape from the light/ visible contact.

Have you tried freecycle.com to find a tank? Most stuff on there is free or cheap. If not, walmart sells 10 gallon tanks (without hood and light though) for 13-14 dollars.

if you want to go super cheap go with a sponge filter running in the main tank and move it over when needed. if not i would get a hob. maybe make a wanted thread see if anyone has any used equipment for it.

Back
Top Bottom