Wanted dwarf puffers, ended up with red eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy monkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
After months of cycling, research and preparation I was finally ready to get the dwarf puffers I've been ridiculously excited about, but...,

My LFS couldn't get hold of dwarf puffers for me, so I called another one with a good reputation and asked if they could. They could and did, they were delivered to the shop yesterday. I couldn't get there til tomorrow so my friend picked them up for me (they would have been left in a bag til I got there otherwise).

When I got them I was a bit surprised to find that they're not dwarf puffers at all, ones a red eye puffer and the other is a red eye red tail puffer. Now I don't know what to do. I've had to put them in the tank cos I can't get to the shop til tomorrow, and I can't find any info on whether they're even compatible with each other.

The tanks a 60 litre, fake plants, lots of hiding places etc, sand substrate. It's been cycled to 5ppm.

All my research has been on dwarf puffers, I don't even know where to start with these guys.

image-3222510506.jpg

image-278353689.jpg

Will they both live together peacefully?
Will the bioload be too much with both?

I can't return them to the shop cos they don't stock them (hence them leaving them in a bag til I could pick them up) and I don't want them to be euthanised.

My friend also picked up some snails for me, I don't even know what type they are.

image-2494753591.jpg

Any help offered here will be gratefully received, I'm really disappointed not to have got the dwarfs but I'm hoping I can make the best of a lousy situation :-(

Well I think you should still be able to return them, they didn't get you the right product. I would call them and give them a price of my mind. That's a bunch of crap. But anyways! You MIGHT be able to keep both. Just check your water every week to make sure the parameters are good. They might fight a lot until one dies.

Thanks for your reply. I've just rung the shop and they've said to take them back, they're being really good about it and have assured me they won't kill them (though I don't know what they are gonna do with them!) and I figure that's probably best since I'm on pins with them living together. They seemed to think dwarfs and red eye were the same so I think I'll be giving them an education!

The trumpet snails- I'll keep those! :-D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom