wanting new substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've had cream colored rocks at the bottom of my tank since I've had my fish tank...so around 7 months and when algae starts growing it just looks ugly...will it harm the fish if I completely change out the rocks for a different color??

What type of algae is on them? Do you have any pictures as that would help. There are many ways to reduce algae problems. How big is your tank? How long has it been set up? What type of lighting do you have and how many hours a day do you run it? There is no need to change out the substrate unless you just want to once the problem is found and addressed.

I've done everything to reduce algae...but it still shows up....I just want to change the color rocks so when the algae shows up its not as noticeable

Since you've already made up your mind then no it won't harm your fish but you could have a mini cycle after doing it. Many people change out substrate with fish in but personally I feel removing fish temp to a bucket with a filter and heater is best.

Back
Top Bottom