Wanting to start a 10 gal reef tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceanjunkie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a few questions about a 10 gal nano reef. First how large of a water change each week. How much water evaporates from a tank of this size. Should I plan on adding a ato to the tank. I plan on installing the tank in my wifes office at her work she going to be taking care of it. She doesn't work on weekends so just want to make sure the tank will make it through the weekend. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

She doesn't have the room for a much bigger tank we have a 75 gal at home now and doing pretty good. I was thinking of starting it at home first maybe that will help.

Im not sure how much water a day would evap but you could place a glass top on the tank to slow it down. That then lessens the air exchange. I would set it up where it would stay.

The problem with that is that you need gas exchange for oxygen and PH. It depends how much evap and how large of pwcs. It depends on your bioload and how fast the elements are used up.

The problem with that is that you need gas exchange for oxygen and PH. It depends how much evap and how large of pwcs. It depends on your bioload and how fast the elements are used up.

Yeah 10 % a week should be fine, just dont overstock a single fish will be all one that can live in a 10. Get a biowheel filter the are great with gas exchange.

I understand that a smaller tank needs more attention things can get out of hand quick. Any suggestions on such a small tank.

With a standard 10g and an HOB filter wouldn't the spill over from the filter help out considerably with gas exchange? Evap would largely depend on room temperature, humidity, tank lighting, ect.? There are several people here who have very nice looking 10g reefs. They are work but some look great! I would venture to say that top off the tank on Monday/Tuesday and 10% PWC on Friday and you would be good.

Thanks for the info looking forward to getting one started. I'm just glad she likes the hobbie as much as I do.

I am new to the nano saltwater world, but I can tell you my experience with my 10 gallon so far that has been set up since May of this year. I initially had it set up with no top and a clamp light, no fish. I was losing about a gallon a week due to evaporation. When I added 2 firefish to the tank, I bought a glass top for it(they are jumpers) and my loss greatly decreased to where I had virtually none. I have added a small clown and much stronger lighting and I lose a little now, still less than 1/4 a week. I do 20% weekly water changes. It probably doesn't need to be quite so much but I do have 3 fish. I am going to be adding corals soon so time will tell if that affects the rate of evaporation or not. Hope this helps.

Yes it does thanks so much would like to see your setup. Are you running a hob filter?

I am new to the nano saltwater world, but I can tell you my experience with my 10 gallon so far that has been set up since May of this year. I initially had it set up with no top and a clamp light, no fish. I was losing about a gallon a week due to evaporation. When I added 2 firefish to the tank, I bought a glass top for it(they are jumpers) and my loss greatly decreased to where I had virtually none. I have added a small clown and much stronger lighting and I lose a little now, still less than 1/4 a week. I do 20% weekly water changes. It probably doesn't need to be quite so much but I do have 3 fish. I am going to be adding corals soon so time will tell if that affects the rate of evaporation or not. Hope this helps.

That is way overstocked you will run in to probs later on with the size. The clowns get to about 4in and the firefish get to be also the same 4in .Corals wouldnt do well in that tank because its so overstocked.

I actually have a Fluval canister filter which most people will tell you can be nitrate factories if you don't keep them clean. I would think that a good HOB would be easier to maintain, and less risk and I still may switch, but I have always used canister filters and that is what I am more comfortable with. It gets cleaned bi-weekly. It also doubles as my water flow so I only plan on getting one more powerhead(maybe) lol. It is rated for up to 40 gallons so it is pretty strong. My tank isn't anywhere near complete as I am taking it slow. I add things as I get the money. I haven't taken any pictures since the new lighting so I will do that and post them on here tonight. There are others here that have beautiful 10 gallon full reef tanks. That is my goal.

Thank you I think I will go with the hob for now and see how it goes. I really love my 75 gal so I think a small tank will be nice to have. I'm just glad my wife loves the hobbie makes it easier to buy more things for the tank. I can't wait to start it for her in a couple of weeks.

If you are worried about evaporation and salt level y not keep your tank salinity lower like 1.021 instead of 1.025 this way if you lose a gallon over the weekend it won't jump to dangerous levels

That's a good idea thanks. I'm going to have a hood light over tank hopefully not to bad on evaporation. With a tank of this size should you dose with anything or is it to small just do weekly water changes?

a 10% weekly water change should be all that you need assuming a low bio load. I used a canister filter when I had a 10 gal and made sure I kept it clean...seemed to work out

Thanks do 10 gal tanks work good for a quarantine tank. If so how long should you quarantine before moving to dt. I might do two one at home and one for my wife.

You should top off when needed not on a certain day. And also, 1.021 is too low for inverts and all marine animals really should have 1.024-1.026.

Back
Top Bottom