Wanting To Start A 29 Gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like a plan, just don't get too many. :)

thats my problem I have no idea how many is to many...

hows this sound for starters

3x turbo snails
3-5x Nassarius Snails
3-5x Cerith Snails
2x Pepermint shrimp
1x Emerald Crab
3-5x Dwarf Hermits

I have a large supply of Diatoms right now so they should have plenty of food.

I may also snag a few frags im not sure yet though ill probably get a Zoanthus frag for sure but that may be all, depends on how much the inverts cost.

I would pass on the turbos, they eat alot of algae but are bulldozers in a tank, they knock alot of stuff down.

otherwise it looks ok to me anyways. :)

ok will do, some of my LR are small peices that I have around to make little caves and what not and they would probably knock them over all the time along with my frags

Well I got some inverts today and a frag will post pic of it later when it opens. I got 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x Emerald Crab, 6x Dwarf hermits, 6x Nassarius Snails, and 6x Cerith Snails. The emerald is missing 2 legs however =/

img_1691264_0_1c2deedc2a654a96807f5343be214c24.jpg

img_1691264_1_eda5bfadbe1e8a35e575d79151a0fdb3.jpg

should I get my six line wrasse as my last fish? I am going to go to the LFS tomorrow and pick up my royal gramma and a few frags im thinking. Also am considering a larger cleanup crew however idk I was thinking about doubling the size of it having 12x Dwarf hermits, 12x Nassarius Snails, and 12x Cerith Snails, I would really like to get a larger hermit crab as well idk what kind get larger like 2" or so that I could have.

Going to get some frags, along with a royal gramma and sixline I hope IDK if the LFS im going to today has the royals but we will find out.

Today I picked up a rock with about 5 green mushrooms on it that have lines that go through them and I decided to go with a stary blenny over a midas blenny so I got one today and I got a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse. The blenny it already at home hes not being shy or anything and is doing very well. The wrasse is comming out now and flashing, he wasnt getting along with the clowns right away but they did a little fight and now they are all good.

I do have a question though I put a thing of egg create on the tank but with my light on it I have to take the light off in order to get into the tank, I have it because Im afraid the wrasse will jump, will he? Can i cut the middle of the crate out so I can get in the tank and that way there will just be a edd around the tank or would that not help anything? I would think the only way he would jump out is on the edges and if the middle was open he wouldnt be able to out?

I can tell you from sad personal experience that flasher wrasses will likely jump out if the tank isn't completely covered. I'm also afraid the "hole" idea you're considering will only end up keeping him from getting back in when he jumps. Total pain in the rear, but it's what we have to do to keep them I guess.

im going to try and see if I cant figure out a way to cut the egg crate so that it works to slide in and out from under the light. Im thinking about maybe putting in two support beams then cutting out a section so I can easily remove it and put it back in. just dont know what kind of Material to use for the support. or if I should look into a different type of hood that I may be able to make that has some type of door but i cant think of anything.

I turned the lights off and my flasher is gone...do they hide at night? he hasnt jumped out or anything theres no way he could with the lid I have on right now. I havent moved any sand or rock to look for him but I dont see him anyplace. should i be worried? hes been totally fine all day swimming out and about with no sign of being sick or anything.

Yes, they sometimes burrow into the sand at night. When I got my first one, I didn't see it for two days until I got another one to replace it. I figured he died and the CUC took care of him or he jumped. Then I had two!

He must be under the sand or in a rock because i have looked all around the tank and theres only a spot about 1 inch long he could jump out through and I fixed that last night. Im going to wait a few hours then maybe look for him. Im worried sick about the little guy.

I now have another problem, I decided I felt like I was lied to about what the starry blenny is and so i looked into because its face reminded me so much of a dragonet so I looked into and the guy gave me a scooter blenny and well im worried there wont be enough food for him to eat. how do i ensure hes healthy? Hes very very cool and i enjoy watching him but I dont want him to die of hunger. Is there a way to get them to eat frozen?

I would take him back but im 95% sure they wont because they told me no last time with a cichlid.

when I get home I am going to start a little brine shrimp hatching project to see if he will eat that. however I dont think I could do hatchings everyday or anything for him so im not really sure what to do about feeding him. How often would he need to be feed assuming he even eats them.

I just watched my Emerald crab remove a frag of zoaths from the rock so he could get in the hole...rude

I have a scooter as well. When I got him he didnt eat anything I put in the tank, he ate the pods I had. what i did was fed him several different frozen foods every day several times a day and eventually he took to brine shrimp, then mysis and now he loves bloodworms. :)

I turned off all the flow in the tank and used a turkey baster with the frozen food in inside it and target fed him. he may take to it quick or it may take weeks.

Good luck! let us know if it works

Back
Top Bottom