Wanting To Start A 29 Gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this size tank I didn't run a skimmer just a hob aquaclear filter. As long as you do your weekly water changes and don't overfeed it shouldnt be a problem. On down the line you may consider a hang on back skimmer but it's not necessary at this point I don't think. :)

As far as stocking, alot depends on the fish. I had five fish in my 29g and they got along well and the parameters were stable. I happen to have a midas blenny, he is awesome to watch, very active fish. he likes a nice hidey hole to hang out in when he's not swimming though. And as long as you arent going reef a chocolate chip starfish would be ok but I would wait awhile to add one, starfish usually need an established tank.

Coral banded shrimp are kinda mean, mine doesnt mess with anything but I don't have any more shrimp left in my tank but him. lol

so do you think I could have

1x Flame Angel
2x Cardinals
2x Black/white Clowns
1x Midas Blenny
1x Banded Coral Shrimp
and maybe a hermit crab or 2?

Do inverts effect you stock much? I know they do in FW but not alot. I just dont know how it all works (I wont be setting this tank up till Xmass so I have some time)

In my opinion that list is pushing it a bit. The flame angel is a larger swimmy type of fish and so are the clowns. The same for the cardinal and the blenny. lol It's better to have a balance of fish plus the clowns do get quite big as does the angel. at least for a 29g tank. lol

Inverts dont' have much of a bioload impact in sw either, so your just limited by space and what looks good.

In my opinion that list is pushing it a bit. The flame angel is a larger swimmy type of fish and so are the clowns. The same for the cardinal and the blenny. lol It's better to have a balance of fish plus the clowns do get quite big as does the angel. at least for a 29g tank. lol

Inverts dont' have much of a bioload impact in sw either, so your just limited by space and what looks good.

So how can I change the list?
The only Fish I require is the angel and the clowns my girlfriend is only allowing me to set this tank up because she wants the clown fish so thats a must haha. I can drop the cardinals they are that big of a deal to me if it means unhappy fish. dragonnets are amazing little fish are they very difficult? could I get one instead of a Blenny?

1x Flame Angel
2x Black/white Clowns
1x Midas Blenny
1x Royal Gramma Basslet

You could drop the cardinals and add a goby. :) They are bottom dwellers and are some great fish.

CleverBs said:
I already have it and theres no reason why it would be "To Big" it will heat just the same just quicker. the number of watts is just how hot the heater can get to heat up water. If you set the heater to 78 then the 300 watt heater will heat it to 78 and shut off just like a 150watt will the 300 watt will just do it in less time.

Oh I'm I was just under the impression that a larger heater would over heat. Sorry:)

You could drop the cardinals and add a goby. :) They are bottom dwellers and are some great fish.

id rather have a blenny or a dragonet then a goby. I see you have a dragonet are they difficult to care for?
Will the band shrimp hurt hermits or anything? and with the flame angel can I not have ANY type of coral? even mushrooms?

Well, the dragonets I have are a handful to feed and even more of the problem was getting them onto prepared foods. I have an ORA mandarin that was raised on pellets so I had a better chance with her than a wild caught one. She didn't eat pellets or frozen when i got her, just pods. I had the tank up a few months with established rock and am running a small fuge in the back compartment of my cube so there were luckily enough pods for them to eat while they were being weaned onto frozen.

The corals banded won't hurt the inverts like snails and hermits, I believe they are just a danger to other shrimp. As far as the angel, I'm not sure. I was just under the impression that they are a no go for reef tanks, never really investigated them.

K well ill pass on the dragonet sounds like something I may try later down the road but ill stick to simpler things for now. Ok so I may make this my stock list

1x Flame Angel
2x Black/white Clowns
1x Midas Blenny
1x Coral Banded Shrimp
1x Sea Star -Maybe, After a few months of Setup
a hermit or 2 maybe?
Maybe 1x Royal Gramma Basslet

Sounds good. The gramma likes rockwork so it wont be in the way of the other bigger fish adn it doesnt get too big. I had one in my 29g with a pair of clowns, a lawnmower blenny and a goby.

Sounds good. The gramma likes rockwork so it wont be in the way of the other bigger fish adn it doesnt get too big. I had one in my 29g with a pair of clowns, a lawnmower blenny and a goby.

I think they are really pretty

Live sand in a bag is kinda iffy in my opinion. Just go to your lfs and find a sand that you like. I went with pink fiji "live sand" in my cube only cause I liked the color. lol

Live sand in a bag is kinda iffy in my opinion. Just go to your lfs and find a sand that you like. I went with pink fiji "live sand" in my cube only cause I liked the color. lol

K I think Im going to look at my LFS live sand they have for sale. How much should I have for the 29 gallon tall. Not a very big footprint.

I believe I started out with 34lbs of sand in my 29g so I wouldnt go any lower than that. Two 20lb bags will probably be enough and give you a nice sandbed. :)

ANYTHING that says "live" in it at your lfs(freshwater or salt) is probably not alive(ie, bacteria starters, ls, some copepod brands). JMO..

whats the best place to find live rock online? I want something cheap thats quality. the best price I can find is 4.5 per pound. Id love some carribbean live rock or something colorful.

Back
Top Bottom