Wanting To Start A 29 Gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CleverBs said:
will it get as colorful and what not? becoming live?

That's the draw back. If there's no colorful coralline algae on the 10% of live rock you'll have to find some of it from another source... But once you introduce it to your rock it should take off.

CleverBs said:
but if the live rock has color it will spread to all the dead rock?

Yep, if you have enough light in a few months you shouldn't be able to tell the difference!

what would the difference be in cycling time between 35lbs base rock and 10 lbs live rock, and 45lbs of all live rock

You would most likely have more die off from all live rock but I still think dosing the tank with either pure ammonia or a dead shrimp will be needed. The time frame would most likely be the same. A couple days to a couple weeks. No sure way to know.

Now if you got all live rock from a tank breakdown from an established tank i would think you'd see a small spike of ammonia and then ypou wpuld be set to go. It's all alot of variables though....The live rock at your lfs is probably not fully cured as it comes in frequently.

Trying to figure out how to budget for this tank, I want to make it so when I decide to upgrade it to my 40 gallon breeder that It can use everything other then the light for that tank. and to add more rock. And from what I can figure its going to cost like 500$...

$500 seems a little high, might be able to shave $100 or so off that price. Do you have anything for this tank at all?

I just did a Excel Spread sheet for it and figured my cost

Its only actually going to cost 359$ to set it up.

I have a Heater/Power Head/Tank

see, told ya :-D Much better than $500. having some of the gear helps out so thats a good thing. Do you have room for a bigger tank? Might be able to find something on craigslist for the same money. I see 55g sw setups going for like $200-500 around me. And thats with a decent setup, not the lame ones with the wrong lights or bad filtration. LOL

see, told ya :-D Much better than $500. having some of the gear helps out so thats a good thing. Do you have room for a bigger tank? Might be able to find something on craigslist for the same money. I see 55g sw setups going for like $200-500 around me. And thats with a decent setup, not the lame ones with the wrong lights or bad filtration. LOL

No I wish I had room for a larger one but I dont maybe I should Look into it however maybe can talk to Girlfriend into moving something If I can find a great deal.

I would for sure look around and see whats available in your area. A 29g is 30 inches long and a 55 is only 48" or even the best option is a 75g its 48" long and 18" from front to back so you have a lot of good space for LOTS of things.
:-D

Nothing in my Local Craigslist

I just already have a 75 FW Hi-tech planted in the same room sooo Cant really do another 75 for now.

Ahh I see. Well, the 29g is a good start, I started with a 29g. :)

Still can get like half a dozen fish or so and theres plenty of room for corals if you go down that road.

If I wanted to just buy a bit at a time what would I need to get first?
I have Heater/Tank/Power Head

Should I buy in this order?

Light
Salt
Hydrometer
Test Kit
Filter
Sand
Base Rock/Live Rock

Try local forums to help keep costs down. Someone is always getting out, upgrading, or downsizing.

You don't have to cycle with a light so that shouldn't matter right away it is however one of the most expensive part of the hobby.
Don't waste your time and money on a hydrometer get a refractometer Carey got an excellent one from ebay.

What I do is look for the best buys on things and get them as I go. I have enough stashed away I could set up a tank a couple of different ways if the need ever arose lol. Who knows I might have to rescue a damsel in distress again.

I'd go in this order:
Test kit
refractometer
Salt
Filter
sand
rock
light
This way ypu can get a few of the little things at once and leave the bigger ones for the end. Like mentioned you dont need the lights to cycle so I'd get as much as you can put together and start cycling.

Back
Top Bottom