Wanting to start a planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocky_2197

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an established 29 gal tank with about 2.0 wpg. Could any one tell me how to start a planted tank. Such as plant sugestions and any other advice would be much appriciated.

What type of substrate do you have in there now? Also think about using C02. Some low light plants are Hornwort, Java moss, Java fern, Water fern(water sprite), Cryptocorynes. Make sure you start off with a lot of fast growers to cut back on the algea growth. This is just general info. :)

I have normal gravel substrate. I already read that. I was wondering since I already have a established tank is there anything special I need to do In order to introduce live plants?

As long as the substrate you have is a very small stone you can use it. Just make sure you have at least 2-3 inch depth and add a fert to it like Seachem flourish tabs. You may want to think about adding C02 unit or you can try Seachem Flourish excel (organic carbon source).

If you have an established tank with the 2.0 watts per gallon you have indicated then you are set.

Thanks for the help. One more question will the Seachem florish tabs be harmful to my fish?

No the Flourish tabs will not hurt your fish...I use them all the time in my planted tanks with fish.

I'm an absolute beginner with plants - the first batch we tried didn't last long at all. The last time we went back and got potted plants... Just buried the pots in the gravel - though we're still not sure if we should have done that. We have two water sprites, an anubias and an amazon sword and they're all doing ok. Not as good as they could be because the quality of the water stinks.. we don't use C02 and we haven't added Flourish or anything else for the plants. I even accidentally added a packet of Proper PH 7.0 before I read somewhere not to use it in a planted tank.

I do have a point here *babble babble*.. hehe That point being if those plants grow for me, they'll grow for darn near anybody!

As a starter tank, try to stick with the Anubias and Crypt type plants. Also Java Fern and Java Moss are quite easy to grow. Try to keep away from many red leaved plants as they usually require higher values of light. Post a couple pics once you decide on what kind of plants you shoot for, and keep reading because mostly everything your gonna need to know to get started will be on this site.

Read the bottle. As I recall it's 1 ml per 10 gallons every other day.

Back
Top Bottom