Watching parameters closer for corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jigsaw82

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I’m thinking of getting into the coral fragging for fun/hobby at first and potentially profit/trade later on down the road. I was just wanting to watch the parameters of my tank more closely, with finer detail. Currently I measure Salinity(with a refractometer), PH, Temp, Ammonia, Nitrite, & Nitrates. I also just got a 4 Stage RODI Filter. What else would be good to test and monitor? I was thinking calcium, phosphate, TDS? Anything else?

Thanks in advance ?

Alkalinity is probably the single most important thing to monitor with corals. I suggest salifert for that, magnesium and calcium. I’d also get a Hanna tester for phosphate if you are actually looking to grow corals seriously.

Alkalinity is probably the single most important thing to monitor with corals. I suggest salifert for that, magnesium and calcium. I’d also get a Hanna tester for phosphate if you are actually looking to grow corals seriously.

I see they have Hanna Testers for a lot of stuff. Why not get Hanna testers for all these parameters?

I see they have Hanna Testers for a lot of stuff. Why not get Hanna testers for all these parameters?

The calcium one is super difficult and time consuming, same with the nitrate one. Their alkalinity checker is good, you just need to keep the reagent out of sunlight. I have their pH checker and it’s ok, just needs to be recalibrated to often imo. I only say phosphate because it is really the only phosphate tester that gives you accurate results. If you really wanna get into it just get a controller like an apex with the trident to monitor everything but that’s $$$.

Back
Top Bottom