Water change advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeerNinja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys.

I was wondering what you all do to match water temperatures when you do partial water changes. Someone told me that using warm water from a home hot water heater is a No-No, so I have been warming up cold water in a clean tub with a heater. Is this silly, or is there an easier way to match temps?

Any input would be appreciated!

-beer

I personally simply put my hand in the aquarium to get the feeling of the temperature, and then keep my hand under the faucet to match the temperature as well as possible. It generally seems to work (after 1 hour, the temperature is still the same)

I agree with astroguy. I feel the aquarium and then run the taps on the sink, both hot and cold ones open, till it feels about the same. If it seems to be hotter than what is in the aquarium I will let it set for a little while then put it in the tank. I have even at times put cooler water into the aquarium, and so far it hasnt hurt the fish at all, nor the plants. I even know people that just stick a garden hose into the aquarium and let it run untill it is filled back up, no hot water at all. As long as the temp is within the same range as your aquarium water, I do not see a problem with adding it. Some people let it run out with cold water and warm up by just sitting untill room temp, some use hot water and let it cool down, some luke warm, some just plan cold water.

Instead of making a new thread I thought I would just use this one to get some more advice. Kind of a different subject though!

I have a hang on back filter for my new freshwater 20 gal (currently cycling). I bought extra filter cartridges because the instructions say to replace when water flow becomes slightly restricted. Now, to my understanding, the filter is what houses a lot of beneficial bacteria to keep my ammonia, nitrite etc, levels in check.

So when I replace the filter do you think I should try and save some old filter material/scum and put it in with new filter cartridge? I would hate to go backwards and risk ammonia/nitrite spikes after I have my tank fully cycled.

-beer

I use my baby float thermometer, fill a bucket and then drain it through a collander into the tank. but my daughter is paranoid and I think she got me leery.
We use hot tap tho_Our water heater is new and so are the house pipes.

I believe the reason some people advised against mixing "hot" water from the tap had to do with older water heaters which potentially had some heavy metals affecting the water. Do a hardness check on just the hot water if you're concerned about it. If it's no different than the cold water hardness it should put any fears to rest.

Hey Beer, assuming the cartridges contain carbon they should be replaced monthly. I don't use carbon filters in my HOBs so I just rinse the cartridges with tank water weekly. I also place a layer of bio mech in the bottom of the box to harbor some more nitrifying bacteria. It's also a good idea to run 2 filters in the tank. This way when you clean one, the other is still at peak performance :) .

I have a HOB filter in a 20 gallon. The cartridges should be replaced monthly. I've never seen "restricted" water flow, seems to me that would be WAY too long to wait, but anyways......

I have the carbon and the 'sponge' in my filter only. To keep my bacterial population I just change them at different times so there's always one part of the filter with bacteria in it. Seems to work for me.

As for warm tap water - I don't think it matters. I just add room temp water - it's only a 10-20% change at best so I don't think the lower temp really affects things too much that my thermometer can tell anyways.

Ok, I will throw my two cents worth in on the filter thing. With the HOB most of them I have seen come with two different inserts, one which is a type of sponge, and one wich is a poly type filled with either carbon or the ammonia locking type of granular rocks(cant remember the exact name of it). I agree that if you run carbon, replace that insert monthly. I havent replace the sponge in my filters in months, I just rinse them when I do a water change. Just pull it out, and swirl it around in the old tank water to keep from killing off the bacteria and stick it back in the filter.

I've heard of a "don't drink the hot water" rule. The explanation was that in old pipes, there may be lead solder, and hot water leaches out more lead than cold.

Most dechlor also binds heavey metal, so as long as you treat the water, I don't think lead is a problem. I also wouldn't worry about lead if the pipes are less than 10 ot 20 years old.

Phew!, thanks for all the input.
much appreciated

I have some work to do regarding my HOB filter. Today I think I may just get a second or buy a new, better one.

=]

I read that when we just installed our 20 gallon today...the instructions said not to use hot water from the tap. Since I do it every week (and did it every day for six weeks while the tank cycled) I ignored it and filled the tank up with warm water. I had to dip out about a gallon of it though, because the temp was about 98...had to add some cold to drop the temp.

I am so confused about this filter thing. I've read on hear never change the filter medium. Now I read that if we have the fiber/carbon type that we need to change it once a month. Then I read NOT to use the carbon, only use the fiber stuff.

What do I do? If I need to change the filter medium once a month, I'll change the 10 gallon now and shove the old filter medium into the new 20 gallon filter to get the cycle going.

To fill our tank we have a couple a plastic gallon containers that we fill with water and place in a sink of hot water to warm it up. I think in older pipes especially heating up the pipes can release different metals. I've always heard that when cooking you should start with cold water and warm it on the stove not use hot tap water - I figure what is best for me is best for my fish. Totally JMHO.

Not trying to confuse you with the filter thing. The carbon, if you use it, does need to be replaced because it will not function like it should, ie remove color, smell ect, after about a month. In a whisper you can buy just the carbon, and replace it by removing the old carbon out of the filter bag and putting new in. With the bio sponge, you dont replace that just swish it around in your old tank water that you drain out, this keeps the the good bacteria in the filter thus keeping your tank from going through another mini cycle. hope this helps some. alot of us dont use carbon because we have plants, or just plain dont want to use it.

The carbon debate continues :) . The Pros: Activated carbon removes foul smells from the tank and acts as an additional source for the good bacteria. It can be combined with other active ingredients to reduce ammonia, nitrates and phosphates.

The Cons: Once it has ceased being effective it begins to release what it has absorbed back into the aquarium (thus the change at least monthly statement). Some say it inhibits the growth of fish. That was the case with my discus.

IMO if you do proper water changes and your maintainence routine is solid, there is really no need to use carbon. It's just one more thing you need to buy at the lfs.

I was also told to replace with carbon with another sponge for more filtration. So far so good. Also someone told me that yes they just want you to keep buying the replacement bags to make money. Cleaning the used media in the old tank water seems to be the way to go. The water changes being the most crucial thing to water quality. I use both the hot and cold taps when adding new water and as long as you treat it for the harmfull metals there shouldn't be a problem and I haven't had any problems with the tap water in my "older" place.

Back
Top Bottom