Water change and chlorine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shickley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you put untreated water into a tank with fish if you immediately put water treatment in as soon as it is done filling? I couldn't seem to find any answers on this. I know it is a total noob question but I am looking at using the python water changing kit and wondered if anyone has experience with it. Thanks!

No, I put mine in before so it circulates as you fill and I haven't had a problem with this method. I use a python btw.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That and it reduces the killing of beneficial bacteria.

Awesome! Good to know. I'll have to pick up a python. Thanks!

When you say before does that mean before you put the treatment in the tank after the water has filled or do you mean treat the water first then put it in the tank? Sorry, just had a brain fart :p

When you have drained the tank however much you do, before you start filling, put the water treatment in and then fill.

Oh ok I see now. That makes a ton of sense! Thanks for the help!

Treat the whole tank with the amount of dechlorintor needed for the whole volume of water and then start water changing. As an added precaution have the new untreated water enter the tank farthest from the filter inlets so that it has mixed in with the tank water, and been treated, before it enters the filter.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

This way is best for the fish so they don't go into shock, not likely to happen but happened to me lol

Treat the whole tank with the amount of dechlorintor needed for the whole volume of water and then start water changing. As an added precaution have the new untreated water enter the tank farthest from the filter inlets so that it has mixed in with the tank water, and been treated, before it enters the filter.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

This is a great point since most if the bb is in the filter +1 :)

That definitely sounds like a good idea. Thanks again for helping the noob :D

No prob, I don't know a whole lot but a I know enough for the time I've been in this hobby. They're are alot more people on here that know much more than i.

Oh and one last thing is if you haven't ran water through the faucet for awhile than run it for 30sec before putting it in the tank as a precaution.

I run a garden hose for water out and water into my tanks. I add a small amount of dechlorinator before adding tap water and keep adding as it fills. Pretty easy and you can also do as RedDevil says.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom