Water change & filter question.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, this is probably a dumb question :oops: .......but should I have to be refilling my filter after every water change?? I've got the Penguin 150 w/ Biowheel. I usually turn off the heater & filter while draining the water but after re-filling, I've got to re-fill the filter box as well before plugging it back in. Is this expected.....or am I missing something :? .

I have to refill my bio wheel filters but not my aqua clears LOL. I think it is just the type of filter, some have to be refilled. There is no dumb questions btw, only way to learn, we all started out with questions and most of us continue to have them.

sounds like the filter box is siphoned out via the intake tube with the filter off and when the water level drops. If you are not going to drop the water level below the inlet of the intake tube, you could try leaving the filter running. The pump would keep the filter box full, and splashing of course as the water tumbles into the tank. Flow would go down, since the height above the tanke water would be increased as the tank level lowers, but I don't hink you would run the filter dry or hurt it. I do not have HOB filters, so if you try this be prepared to turn it off if it runs dry, since I have not done this personally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom