Water change questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorkevin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
At the moment I am doing a fish in cycle and have started to do a 50% water change everyday until the levels are correct.
My questions are:
What time is best to change water?
Do I change water before or after feeding?
Do I need to turn off the filter? (As my filter tube is about half way down in the tank)
Do I need to add more aquarium salt after every water change?
Do I add the anti chlorine liquid to the water when refilling or can I add after?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The best time? Whenever you want to. I have never found any specific time to be better than any other.
Feeding? I personally do it a bit before feeding so everything has a chance to settle back down before you feed. Don't do it right after, or else you will suck up the food the fish might have eaten.
Filter? Turn it off.
Dechlorintaor, you can do either. I like to add mine to the water before I put it in. Though, that strategy only works if you are filling the tank with buckets of water.
Salt? Unless you are treating for a disease, I would not waste your money on aquarium salt.
Also, you don't likely need to change that much water during your cycle. You only need to change it when it when the levels are getting high. Do you have a test kit?

Thank you!
I bought a kit yesterday and the results were:
Ph 7.5
Nh3 0.6
No3 50
No2 1.6
I did a water change today and the results were the same :s

Change it at your convenience.

Feeding dosent effect the water changes, you can do it before after or during...whatever you prefer.

Definitely turn the filter off, no need to risk burning out a motor.

I used to think salt did something but after extensive research and first hand experience I found it pointless unless your treating disease.

If you are using a syphon that goes right from your tap to your tank then add the conditioner right to the tank. You want to add the full volume of the tank when using that method. If you change with buckets just add the conditioner to each bucket while it is filling.

In case it's not been mentioned yet - remember to always turn off your heater during a water change. Especially during cycling, when the heater is usually turned up a bit higher than usual. An exposed heater can shatter if it's left on.

For reducing bad nutrients in the water you must do WC with clean water.

If you have no fish, and 2 ppm ammonia, then a 50%WC will clear 1ppm of ammonia.

If you have 40ppm nitrates, and your water tap contains 20ppm, then a 50%WC will drop it to 30ppm. That's math !

There's some products like Seachem Purigen that help control nitrates by removing bad things that will converts into nitrates, but will not remove nitrates, just help controlling.

Airpump only add O2 to the water, and doesn't decrease any levels...

It can help BB when cycling (that's your case), and fishs for aeration.

You can add CO2, plants and a very good light, this should lower "levels"

No man, you don't need air pump for running a filter, except if it's an airpump powered filter.

Only told that airpump help during cycling, and help keeping O2 level, but is very optional.

It's very usefull in QT tanks, like when they give O2 to old dying people, it keep them alive longer.

May not be optionnal in some way overstocked tanks.

You should indeed vacuum the gravel. That is what removes the actual debris the most effectively. No, and air pump won't help you with your levels. As was stated, all and air pump does is adds oxygen to the water, and most tanks don't really need that because the filter agitates the surfaces of the water causing all the necessary gas exchange.
Have you tired testing your tap water?
Also, what kind of kit were you able to get? Strips, or a liquid kit?

I tested the tap water and it is ok and also I some liquid to treet the water. I have a nutrafin liquid test kit but I need my wife with me as I'm Colour blind!
How often should I vacuum?

once a month, depends on the conditions... If you see it's really dirty, it's probably time to vaccum... If it's clean when you do the WC, then wait a week before doing it... The more you do it, the best it is... If it's a simple small tank, just alway vaccum the gravel... will take same time.

Back
Top Bottom