Water change questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1. While doing a water change should I turn the filter off and turn it back on a few minutes after I add Prime when filling the tank up?
2. Should I add the Prime before the new water goes into the tank (using a python) or right as the new water starts pouring out?
3. Is it ok to gravel vac with every water change?
4. Is it ok to rinse all my filter media at once in old tank water before a water change at least once a month?

1- I turn off my sponge filters, but i make sure not to let them dry out. And keep them off for as little as possible.

2- no idea. I use buckets.

3- I gravel vac only dead "zones" and half the tank. Alternate halves each water change.

4- yes but i don't gravel vac on those water changes.

Just my 2 cents.

Nate

1. Yes, turn off the filter.
2 Add Prime before adding new water. Dose for the entire volume of the tank.
3. Yes (I always remove poop. Guppies poop so much)
4. Yes.

1-yes turn off the filter
2-yes dose before you put the water in the tank with prime
3-yes you can I do it too
4-yes you can
Hope this helps!

1. While doing a water change should I turn the filter off and turn it back on a few minutes after I add Prime when filling the tank up?
2. Should I add the Prime before the new water goes into the tank (using a python) or right as the new water starts pouring out?
3. Is it ok to gravel vac with every water change?
4. Is it ok to rinse all my filter media at once in old tank water before a water change at least once a month?

1.) I just fire up my filters after filling the tank.
2.) Yes, dose for entire tank volume....not the amount you changed.
3.) Yes, but if I do an aggresive vac I only go one side at a time. I'll lightly go over the whole tank.
4.) Yes. Just swish in a bucket of tank water. (Usually I'll do my HOBs one month and the Canister the next. Just how I do it)

Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom