Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I did a water change (30%) last night and tested for nitrite today and it's still high. Should I do another change or not yet? How soon after doing the water can I test? Thanks

i'd give it at least 2 days to even out then do another PWC a 50% will lower the trates by half

If you have any livestock in the tank another pwc is a great thing to do. You want the trites at 0 ideally. :) What is your reading at for trites?

I generally wait at least an hour to test again, specially if its a large change.

Hi, I did a water change (30%) last night and tested for nitrite today and it's still high. Should I do another change or not yet? How soon after doing the water can I test? Thanks
do another,you can do it now if you want

Hi I've got 4 platties in there and they seem to be loving it! Have just done a pwc so will give it an hour and test. Will let you know the readings. When I've been doing the change the water has a very slight yellow tinge although the water isn't cloudy. What could this be?

Hi I've got 4 platties in there and they seem to be loving it! Have just done a pwc so will give it an hour and test. Will let you know the readings. When I've been doing the change the water has a very slight yellow tinge although the water isn't cloudy. What could this be?

Do you have any driftwood or anything in there? That could be causing the color. You can safely do daily PWC just make sure to use dechlor and match temp :)

Just continue doing pwc daily, try using bottled or filtered water

alex07 said:
Just continue doing pwc daily, try using bottled or filtered water

Yeah bc either way If u are doing water changes it'll get the yellow out

If its from the driftwood its going to take a while for you to get your water crystal clear. I like my water with some color. Makes it look more natural, but that is just me.

Yes I have bog wood in there. I soaked it for a few days before putting it in but that makes sense of the colour issue. I've tested the nitrite about an hour after the pwc and it's at 1.0. I have read this is pretty high so someone please tell me what to do next. How much water should take out. I think I'm going to put more plants in too.

I agree with you on the colour, it's nice but I was having a full on panic it was something nasty!

Ok but how much should I take out?

Another 25%-30%, make sure you clean any fish waste as well. Do you have any live plants?

Ok thanks. Do I clean fish waste with the syphon? I have 4 large plants and one small at the mo.

Back
Top Bottom