Water changes, chlorine, prime and bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roland6543

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 75g and do weekly WC with a aqueon setup. Just before I add fresh water to the tank, I add Prime, then top it up. My concern is this:

Prime will take a while to neutralize the chlorine from the fresh water. During this time, will the chlorine kill off the beneficial bacteria, especially on a new tank that's still cycling?

If you put enough dechlor so that the new water makes contact with it, the chlorine will be neutralized pretty much on contact. Your beneficial bacteria should be unaffected. What you are describing is normal water change procedure for most people.

Excellent question and one that has occurred to me. In my experience Prime works immediately. I've been advised to add the Prime to the new water in the first bucket based on the whole tank's capacity. I have forgotten though, and added it a few min later and it hasn't seemed to make a difference.

Yes. That's what I was hoping too. Its been 3 weeks and no sign of nitrites or nitrates (fish in cycle) which is why I began wondering if I was killing the bacteria with the wc.

I think it works pretty much on contact, however, I usually wait a few minutes before turning on the filter just to be double sure. I think you are ok on time frame, it took me 20 days to see nitrites....(and now I can't get them down - lol)

good luck!

Yes. That's what I was hoping too. Its been 3 weeks and no sign of nitrites or nitrates (fish in cycle) which is why I began wondering if I was killing the bacteria with the wc.

Sounds like you're going it correctly. Every tank is different; nitrites typically show 3-4 weeks in, just hang in there.

I've been using the Python for my 46g, I turn off the filter while changing water. I have refilled then added the Prime with no problems & I have added the Prime right before I refill, leaving the filter off until its refilled fully. I think the main thing is that it gets added. :)

Back
Top Bottom