Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all!

How do you do a 50% water change for a 55 gallon fish tank? This sounds silly, but my bioload requires a large water change frequently. I have a 5 gallon and a 4 gallon bucket, I just wanna know some tips and tricks from more experienced fish keepers.

The fish in the tank: 2 Angelfish, 1 Rainbow Shark, and 5 Australian Rainbowfish.
-- I welcome any questions, comments, and criticisms for this post --

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the ashes shall rise a Phoenix.

Hey all!

How do you do a 50% water change for a 55 gallon fish tank? This sounds silly, but my bioload requires a large water change frequently. I have a 5 gallon and a 4 gallon bucket, I just wanna know some tips and tricks from more experienced fish keepers.

The fish in the tank: 2 Angelfish, 1 Rainbow Shark, and 5 Australian Rainbowfish.
-- I welcome any questions, comments, and criticisms for this post --

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the ashes shall rise a Phoenix.

Hello phoenix...

I have several 55 G tanks and remove and replace 60 to 70 percent of the water in the tanks every week. I'm "old school" and just use the 5 gallon bucket method. What specifically do you want to know?

B

I want to know how you do it, like just keep filling up the bucket until it's full, then dumping it out, then using it again, or if you just use another really handy method.

I also what to know when to put in dechlorinator after new, tap water is added or just before it is added. How long can fish survive in "chlorinated" tap water? Can I put dechlorinator in the water after it is added to the tank, or before I add it?

Sorry, this does sound a bit confusing.:thanks:

phoenixkiller said:
I want to know how you do it, like just keep filling up the bucket until it's full, then dumping it out, then using it again, or if you just use another really handy method.

I also what to know when to put in dechlorinator after new, tap water is added or just before it is added. How long can fish survive in "chlorinated" tap water? Can I put dechlorinator in the water after it is added to the tank, or before I add it?

Sorry, this does sound a bit confusing.:thanks:

Id buy either a python or auqeon water changer. Add the dechlorinator b4 adding the water to it and always use the amount for the entire tank NOT what u removed. If ur going to use a bucket to fill it back up ALWAYS mix the dechlorinator in the bucket for the amount that's in the bucket.

Ditto the Python! Mine in fact will be delivered this afternoon. Tired of buckets! The LFS stores I visit all use them.

I agree with above. I did the bucket method--I would set a bucket on top of a ladder above my tank, get the siphon started, then use other buckets to keep the first bucket filled so I didn't have to restart the siphon constantly. But then I made me a water changer, and it is soooooo much easier. Siphon the water out of the tank and out a window, get the temperature of the water out of the faucet where I want it, and fill. Now I grumble because I have to use the buckets to fill the hospital tank since it's out of reach of the water changer *lol*

You can get them with 25ft., 50ft., 100ft. long hoses I believe! Mine coming today is a 25 footer and cost $37 frieght free .

phoenixkiller said:
Is there any way to MAKE a water changer? I really am pretty broke, and I'm thirteen, so I can't really buy expensive equipment.

Look up a member Mumma of two. She made hers for like 2 bucks. PM her and ask how she did it.

I use a 30g plastic ware bin to fill with the water being removed. Then use 5g buckets to dip in and dump. I fill the bin half way back up with treated water as well as 2. 5g buckets with new water. I don't trust the bottom of the container to carry while full.

He's a pic to help explain what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• image-1443119431.jpg
    image-1443119431.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom