Water conditioner disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check in on him and sometimes the person who gets the fish may regret the decision too or prefer a different kind of fish, so you might get get him back...

I think she likes him. She got him some friends and such. It's alright as long as he's well cared for. My tank is overcrowded so maybe he'll have it better there.

Dont feel bad dear. i once transfered fish into a new tan with no water conditionr. too. it happens. i lost 3. did figure it out for a week! i was new back then.
:ermm:

Thanks. If only we knew to use forums back then. I certainly wouldn't have figured out what went wrong without everyones replies.

Before this matter got figured out, I too would have suspected that this had nothing to do with water conditioner in terms of killing the fish; but, yeah, that Tetra stuff originally mentioned wasn't to "prepare" the water and get rid of the metals, toxicities, etc. thus why it didn't protect the fish from the tap stuff!

In my experience, and as has been mentioned I believe, the best conditioner on the market is Seachem's Prime (AWFUL sulfur-like odor due to its heavy concentration but very quick in effectiveness):

Seachem. Prime

Before this matter got figured out, I too would have suspected that this had nothing to do with water conditioner in terms of killing the fish; but, yeah, that Tetra stuff originally mentioned wasn't to "prepare" the water and get rid of the metals, toxicities, etc. thus why it didn't protect the fish from the tap stuff!

In my experience, and as has been mentioned I believe, the best conditioner on the market is Seachem's Prime (AWFUL sulfur-like odor due to its heavy concentration but very quick in effectiveness):

Seachem. Prime

You lost me at the smell part D:

You lost me at the smell part D:

I don't know why people make such a big deal about the "AWFUL" smell. I hardly ever notice it, and when I do, it's a faint, fleeting odor. Sure, if you stick your nose in the bottle and take a nice deep sniff you will mell a strong odor. But if you use as directed you may not ever even notice it.

Sorry for your losses. Glad you found the problem tho.
I use Prime for all water changes and when I add new fish. The dose is smaller and it covers almost everything. Its good for salt water and fresh water and also the bottle lasts longer because you dont have to use as much.

Oh...it's GOD awful...sometimes it can knock you over from my experience; it has a sulfur-like/stale egg odor that's completely normal...but the stuff works, and that's all that matters...(y)

The sulfer smell is only when you open the bottle. After it is added to the aquarium you no longer smell it. It will not make your house stink or your aquarium. IMO Prime is the best out there. Especialy for someone who is doing a fish in cycle. 24 hrs of protection for the fish inbetween water changes is worth a little odor that only lasts long enough to measure the Prime and dump it in the water. Along with the fact that it covers ammo nitrite nitrate chloriene chloromine and copper. Not other bottles of stuff to buy and store. You just got one nifty bottle one measurement and done.

Prime is deffinetly the best water conditioner IME. Also IME a lot of tetras products and additives do not work.

The sulfer smell is only when you open the bottle. After it is added to the aquarium you no longer smell it. It will not make your house stink or your aquarium. IMO Prime is the best out there. Especialy for someone who is doing a fish in cycle. 24 hrs of protection for the fish inbetween water changes is worth a little odor that only lasts long enough to measure the Prime and dump it in the water. Along with the fact that it covers ammo nitrite nitrate chloriene chloromine and copper. Not other bottles of stuff to buy and store. You just got one nifty bottle one measurement and done.

I agree that it's the best stuff out there for treatment and conditioner, and have stated this tirelessly in this forum; no doubt this is a great product -- but it's simply untrue that the product won't stink up at least a room and/or an aquarium (not an entire home) as it has in my case (and other people I know) many times. Now, this could be from slightly overdosing -- nothing substantial, but perhaps a little more than usual when I was running my 10 gallon and doing daily water changes, and now with my 60 at times -- but the sulfur smell is definitely there and lingers for awhile until completely absorbed into the water column...

That being said, I was primarily referring to the initial opening of the cap and getting that attack whiff that can knock you over sometimes as you pour it into the cap for measurement -- the stench is outrageously offensive, but this has NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, to do with the fact that this is probably the best water treatment product on the market. I'm not saying the product is BAD or shouldn't be used because it stinks BY ANY MEANS...I'm merely pointing out that the odor is at times horrifically offensive...

Prime is deffinetly the best water conditioner IME.

Agree.

Also IME a lot of tetras products and additives do not work.

Interesting; I've used some of their stuff in the past...which chemicals are you referring to of theirs that you don't find "to work" -- is it the water conditoner product, or their "SafeStart" biological builder?

I agree that it's the best stuff out there for treatment and conditioner, and have stated this tirelessly in this forum; no doubt this is a great product -- but it's simply untrue that the product won't stink up at least a room and/or an aquarium (not an entire home) as it has in my case (and other people I know) many times. Now, this could be from slightly overdosing -- nothing substantial, but perhaps a little more than usual when I was running my 10 gallon and doing daily water changes, and now with my 60 at times -- but the sulfur smell is definitely there and lingers for awhile until completely absorbed into the water column...

That being said, I was primarily referring to the initial opening of the cap and getting that attack whiff that can knock you over sometimes as you pour it into the cap for measurement -- the stench is outrageously offensive, but this has NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, to do with the fact that this is probably the best water treatment product on the market. I'm not saying the product is BAD or shouldn't be used because it stinks BY ANY MEANS...I'm merely pointing out that the odor is at times horrifically offensive...

I have found if you use a medicine syringe and squirt it under the surface of the water the smell is gone rather quickly. Plus the use of a syringe helps keep the dose correct instead of trying to count the rings in the cap. Useing this method even when doing daily water changes while cyceling a tank I have never had continued odor problems.

I have found if you use a medicine syringe and squirt it under the surface of the water the smell is gone rather quickly. Plus the use of a syringe helps keep the dose correct instead of trying to count the rings in the cap. Useing this method even when doing daily water changes while cyceling a tank I have never had continued odor problems.

Using the rings inside the cap to measure doesn't really bother me; it's not that big a deal, in my case, to just fill one capful (for 50 gallons per the instructions -- U.S. measurements) and then add a bit more to make up for the dose for 60 gallons...but I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on the odor issue...:oops:

I have to just chime in... It does smell for a second but after you add it I don't smell anything.

Tank is in the living room and we have company over all the time. I've actually had compliments and have been asked why my tank doesn't smell, they can't believe it and I don't even use tops. Just a canopy. I tossed those glass tops long ago and never looked back.

If you can smell prime in your water column you are dosing entirely too much, in my opinion. I split a big jug (gallon?) with a buddy from work and don't notice it unless you stick your nose close our get it on your fingers.

ArtesiaWells said:
Using the rings inside the cap to measure doesn't really bother me; it's not that big a deal, in my case, to just fill one capful (for 50 gallons per the instructions -- U.S. measurements) and then add a bit more to make up for the dose for 60 gallons...but I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on the odor issue...:oops:

Is this for your 60g? If so, that is why you can smell it. You are dosing way too much unless you are completely draining and refilling it each time. You only dose for the volume of water you are adding. Ie, 20g water change you dose for 20g, not the entire tank. Reread the instructions on the bottle.

Is this for your 60g? If so, that is why you can smell it. You are dosing way too much unless you are completely draining and refilling it each time. You only dose for the volume of water you are adding. Ie, 20g water change you dose for 20g, not the entire tank. Reread the instructions on the bottle.

+1 very little is needed, I buy it in 2 liter bottles and it seems to just last and last.

It says on the bottle that if you are dosing the tank directly to base the amount on the volume of the tank. I usually dose the water before going in to the tank so that I use less thus saving money by only dosing to the amount in the container.

okapizebra said:
It says on the bottle that if you are dosing the tank directly to base the amount on the volume of the tank. I usually dose the water before going in to the tank so that I use less thus saving money by only dosing to the amount in the container.

I guess I should've stated that is for treating before adding. Per Seachems site:

" Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. "

I use a python and still only dose for the volume added. The way I look at it, and I could be wrong, the heavy metals and chlorine have already been removed from the existing water.

If that works for you then i'll assume that's fine... I just always thought that wouldn't be enough because all the extra water volume will dilute it so i'd be concerned of not dosing enough and killing my fish.

Back
Top Bottom