Water conditioner disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd be curious to get some more input from other people. Like I said, I could be completely wrong. I haven't had any issues with fish, some I've had 5+ years. Hmmm.. Got me thinking though. ;)

I know there's a variety of opinions on this and different methods people use for dosing their tanks. What works for one person may not work for another. Someone with very high chlorine or chloramine levels would benefit from a dose to the tank size. Likewise, someone doing large water changes will benefit as well. Some people dose to their tank size before and after refilling.

As I have very high chlorine levels and do very large water changes (75-100%), my tanks get a full plus dose of prime in addition to a full dose of another dechlorinator. I would rather be safe than sorry. I have never noticed primes odor either unless directly sniffing the bottle..

Wait a minute, wait a minute...

I have been using Prime for years now under the assumption -- and guidance from forums such as this and even Seachem themselves -- that you're supposed to treat the tank itself before the new water goes in, and it should be treated for the tank's water volume, not the amount that's being added...

Is this not correct? THAT is why I have been dosing for 60 gallons before the new water goes in -- hence, the cap and a quarter or half or so...

The odor issue aside -- as I see I am just going to have to agree to disagree with just about everyone contributing to the thread regarding this point -- I thought Prime, or any water conditioner for that matter, is supposed to be dosed according to overall tank volume, not what is being replaced/removed...

In other words, if I have a 60 gallon aquarium and take out 30 gallons for a 50% water change, before the fresh water goes back in I was under the assumption the WHOLE tank needed to be treated with Prime...as such, I would pour a cap and a quarter (about) into the tank before the fresh water went in...according to the back of the bottle, you're supposed to use ONE CAPFUL FOR EVERY 50 U.S. GALLONS. So, being that I have a 60, I use ONE CAP plus a bit more...

Is this not right? :blink::hide:

If you think prime is the worst smell ever, your smeller's lived a sheltered life.

I've ODed on Prime before, and it did stink up the tank for awhile, but you have to dose more than directed to get that effect. You might be smelling something sulfury other than the Prime. Do you have a sand substrate by chance?

Wait a minute, wait a minute...

I have been using Prime for years now under the assumption -- and guidance from forums such as this and even Seachem themselves -- that you're supposed to treat the tank itself before the new water goes in, and it should be treated for the tank's water volume, not the amount that's being added...

Is this not correct? THAT is why I have been dosing for 60 gallons before the new water goes in -- hence, the cap and a quarter or half or so...

Yes you are correct. If you dont treat the water before it goes in you should treat for the volume of the tank.
A 60 gallon tank should be treated with 6 ml of Prime. If it is getting a higher dose then that could be the reason for excess smell.
If you use an accurate device to measure it such as a childs medicine syringe it would probly reduce or elimonate any excess odor.

I add Prime to my jugs of New tap Water before I add them to my tanks. I never dose my whole tank unless I've done a massive water change.

I'm using 2 drops per Gallon. I use 1 Gallon jugs to fill my tanks. 2 drops per Jug. Or my 5g bucket gets 10 drops.

You can safely overdose Prime but I like to dose exactly what I need.

I think we can at least all agree that prime certainly doesn't have a pleasing smell...

Never said I sit there smelling it, LOL. Some will dry on the cap so when I open the bottle I can smell it, but I don't smell it once it's in the water.

Yes you are correct. If you dont treat the water before it goes in you should treat for the volume of the tank.
A 60 gallon tank should be treated with 6 ml of Prime. If it is getting a higher dose then that could be the reason for excess smell.
If you use an accurate device to measure it such as a childs medicine syringe it would probly reduce or elimonate any excess odor.

But what's the correct way to treat? I have been told it only makes sense that you pre-treat the tank water with the Prime before the new water goes in, so the stuff has an opportunity to prepare the entire remaining water column for the incoming bad stuff of the new water (metals, etc.)...

So, if I have a 60 gallon tank, I have been using ONE CAPFUL and then about a quarter or sometimes a half more, based on the bottle's instructions -- ONE CAPFUL for every 50 U.S. GALLONS...

Would this be accurate?

I was always under the assumption that yes, if you are not treating the water prior to adding it to your tank, then dose for the full volume.

Alright oka,

So then would my measurements be correct? That is -- because I have a 60 gallon tank, I should use ONE CAPFUL of Prime plus a bit more (based on Seachem's instructions of ONE CAPFUL for every 50 U.S. GALLONS)?

So what exactly do each of the products the OP used do? (The nitrogen cycle thing and the easy balance)

Yes, I believe that would be the correct amount. Cammywammy has brought us back to the actual topic of the thread. Seems we have veered off a bit from the original topic. Perhaps you should start a thread about prime if you are uncertain of doses.

So what exactly do each of the products the OP used? (The nitrogen cycle thing and the easy balance)

With regard to the nitrogen cycle thing, if it was Tetra's "SafeStart" (not sure if that's what he/she used, but I'm assuming because it was a Tetra product I believe), this is a product that is supposed to contain certain kinds of bacteria that sort of "kick starts" the cycling process, much like the product that I personally use does, Seachem's STABILITY...it doesn't actually automatically cycle the tank, but it puts into motion the elements needed to give it a sort of "kick in the pants" to begin. It is also good, I have found with the Stability, when you are starting a new tank up and you want your fish (if needing to add fish right away in the case of, say, an emergency transfer or you just need to get fish into a different tank for whatever reason as in my case) to be "protected" from New Tank Syndrome -- I started up my new 60 gallon and started the Stability treatment (it's a seven-day course) and waited about two days for things to just "start kicking" a bit, then added the fish (of course the water was treated with Prime as well for extra protection) and finished the seven-day course...they were absolutely fine, and I haven't lost one yet...

Seachem claims (not sure if Tetra does so as well) that so long as the seven-day treatment is followed and completed, any and all aquatic life can be added to the tank at any time.

As for the other product you mention, I think that's merely some sort of "water additive;" not sure if these things actually do anything beneficial to an aquarium outside of what regular water changes will do...

Yes, I believe that would be the correct amount. Cammywammy has brought us back to the actual topic of the thread. Seems we have veered off a bit from the original topic. Perhaps you should start a thread about prime if you are uncertain of doses.

Very well; I have answered Cammy's question in line with the original topic to the best of my knowledge above...

Back
Top Bottom