Water Conditioner..Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I just realized I am out of water conditioner I know I know very stupid mistake. I thought I had an extra bottle which I dont ugh and I need to do a water change and switch my fish back into their 40 gallon tank asap. I have had the water in the 40 gallon for 24 hours and I know the chlorine will evaporate or gas out but the chloramine wont. What do I do? I cant get any for at least a day or two but I need to do something now my fish dont look happy...Thank you!

Wish I could more, but adding untreated water to your tank will kill your biofilter and reset the tank.

So you already did the water change then? I'm confused. You took the fish out of the tank to do your water change and want to put them back in the tank with the untreated water is all that correct?

Can you wait until you get some? Can you go today?

Ok so I just realized I am out of water conditioner I know I know very stupid mistake. I thought I had an extra bottle which I dont ugh and I need to do a water change and switch my fish back into their 40 gallon tank asap. I have had the water in the 40 gallon for 24 hours and I know the chlorine will evaporate or gas out but the chloramine wont. What do I do? I cant get any for at least a day or two but I need to do something now my fish dont look happy...Thank you!

Boiling water first for about 1/2 hr ... I remember reading ... Should get rid of chloramine. Not the most practical ... But doable.

Everyday I do a 10 gallon water change on my 150 gallon tank. I don't us any water treatment on any of my tanks unless I'm doing a big water change like 15% or more. The most I do for my 20 gallon without the conditioner is 2 gallons. If its a small amount it should be fine.

^^^^^

IMO that's taking a chance. Untreated water can kill all your BB that's a fact. I wouldn't chance it and in this hobby one of the things I've learned the hard way is this...

Because it works for A doesn't mean it will work for B and so on and so on. I'd say you've been lucky but why risk it, I use a small amount of Prime even when I top off. I'm not taking any chances.

My water params are fine but I believe its because 10 gallons of untreated water mixed in with 170 gallons doesn't change anything.

vanimal said:
My water params are fine but I believe its because 10 gallons of untreated water mixed in with 170 gallons doesn't change anything.

That's exactly correct. You have much more room for error. I still wouldn't risk it though buy thats just me. I'll add a few drops to my top off water for peace of mind. I've been hell and back twice with my tank.

This is the story on whats going on. I had to empty my 40 gallon and put the fish in another tank because I had to put some stain and seal my stand the 40 was on because the water I would splash around on it was doing a number on it. The stain FINALLY dried after about 2 WEEKS! And I was able to put the 40 gallon back on it and fill it up. The filter is NOT on it its still in the tank with the fish but I want to put the fish back in the 40 gallon as soon as possible. They are in a 10 gallon right now. So I guess I will try and wait it out til I can get some before putting them in the bigger tank. I am going to try and get some tonight hopefully! The rasboras seem to be doing the worst in the 10 gallon. They have been losing some color but then getting it back after a while. I did a small water change yesterday and scrounged the last little bit of water conditioner. I have a petshop right down the road from me but they dont carry prime and the stuff they do have they charge an arm and a leg for. But thank you everyone I am going to try my best to get somewhere and get some today!

Ok thank you guys again! I have been freaking out. I am going to try and make it to petco tonight. They are the only place around here that carry prime so hopefully I can get there soon.

brunettebaby4571 said:
Whew I got some! Thank goodness! Thanks everyone!

I tend to buy 3 bottles of conditioner, or you could buy one big one to prevent this from happening. Just a suggestion.

I usually have extra and I thought I had an extra bottle of it but I was wrong :( Silly mistake on my part

Back
Top Bottom