Water for Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I posted this on to an existing thread but have had no replies so will start a new one. I have a 30 gallon tank that appears to be finished cycling. Ammonia at zero, Nitrites at zero, and Nitrates way up there. I need to do the major water change now and was wondering about how to dechlor the water etc.

Is it best to let water stand overnight with dechlor in it, and then add to the tank? I don't think I have enough buckets (or room) to do that, is it OK to add the water to the tank directly and then add dechlor? The tank doesn't have any inhabitants yet as we've just finished fishless cycling.

Carolyn

No the dechlor needs to be added before it goes into the tank. However it does work pretty fast, all you will need to do is simply empty the water out, then fill the bucket and dechlor make sure its stirred well then add to the tank. (you should match the temperature when you have fish in there) Not sure what percentage is recommended for this water change, but i wouldnt do any more than 50% two smaller changes would be better.

Hope this helps :)

Since ammonia and nitrites are undectable, it's time to start weekly water changes! I recommend 25%. Temperature match the water, add dechlor and put the water in the tank (after first removing water with a gravel vac first :wink:).

equinecpa said:
Is it best to let water stand overnight with dechlor in it, and then add to the tank? I don't think I have enough buckets (or room) to do that, is it OK to add the water to the tank directly and then add dechlor? The tank doesn't have any inhabitants yet as we've just finished fishless cycling.

You can add the dechlor and new water into the tank at the same time. You don't need to put the new water in a bucket and pre-treat. Tap water does not contain that much chlorine (we drink the stuff) and the dechlor will neutralize the chlor on contact. Most members of this forum that use Pythons for water changes add the tap water along with dechlor at the same time. No problems have been noted so no worries. :)

A reminder.
Water temp is as important as using a dechlorinator in water changes. Get it as close to tank temp as you can. Doesnt have to be right on but within a few degrees. The larger the water change the more important it is.

Also, as the cycle has finished there needs to be either some fish in there or continue adding ammonia until the fish go in.

I add the dechlor directly to the water as it is going in, as mentioned above.

(I, too, am glad to see you pop over now and again, AtodaJ, and your avatar is the best!)

I also add dechlor product to the water as I put the water in the tank. I fill with a hose. If you use a bucket, adding it to the bucket with the water and stirring wouldn't hurt. :lol:

I am glad to see I am doing it right then. We vacuum the gravel down to about 60% water, then fill a dedicated jug with water and some Aqua plus, and top it back up. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom