Water level in BC 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've never had ANY issues with water level before. I've NEVER paid much attention to the max/min line either. I just really went by sound TBO. Now starting last night I noticed the trickling sound of water, which I've never come to hear before. I open the back door up and the water level is fine according to specs just a lot lower then I've kept it and the Tunze is WELL below the water line it recommends. The problem with the Tunze and using inTanks media rack is you can't lower the skimmer because of the water directional piece it comes with, you see the cup hits it so you have to raise it.

Anyway... Now the 3rd chamber is probably half full the 2nd chamber same and the first chamber is flowing good water into the media rack. I added distilled water into chamber 3 until the skimmer was where it should be as far the the water level which means the 3rd chamber had water up to the little hole from 2 to 3. And the tricking sound stopped. Woke up this morning and heard it again. Popped the back and the level went down again. Where did the water go? Display tank hasn't moved as far as water levels go.

In chamber 1 I have the heater and chemi pure elite, the only difference is I took out the phosguard and the phosphate removal pad. It jut strikes me as odd that all of a sudden I'm having this issue and I'm calling it an issue because if the skimmer isn't where it's suppose to be per specs then I'm always re adjusting it like now.

Before I just tuned it in and that was that. Now it's bubbling like crazy and nothing is even close to making it into the cup or tube that leads to the cup because the water level is so low.

Here's before pics I found. I'll take now pics in a minute. Not sure if it will help but worth a shot.

View attachment 86197

View attachment 86198

Take notice of the water level... Now pics to follow.

Just took these. You can clearly see the drop in chamber 3 and 2 which is like I stated an issue with the skimmer.

View attachment 86199

View attachment 86200

View attachment 86201

Last edited:
Could it be because the bottom grates were blocked and now there not? I'm just trying to get a handle on where the water went and why it dropped like that. It needs to higher for the skimmer per specs or do I just disregard that?

Everything I working fine. Just the water levels have changed.

Thanks in advance for your help. This is driving me crazy.

Last edited:
I filled it up again just now. It seems to be holding the level and the skimmer has calmed down.

Oh and I did upgrade the pump to the MJ 1200 if that helps.

Anytime there is a restriction in the flow, whether it b dirty media, clogged grates, etc. There will b a drop in the pump chamber. I noticed this immediately with my BC14. When I removed my filter sponge permanently. Everything began running more evenly. I don't even look at the gauge on the tank anymore. If ur running it stock, it's probably a reliable gauge. But after modifying the tank, that thing is worthless

Crabs said:
Anytime there is a restriction in the flow, whether it b dirty media, clogged grates, etc. There will b a drop in the pump chamber. I noticed this immediately with my BC14. When I removed my filter sponge permanently. Everything began running more evenly. I don't even look at the gauge on the tank anymore. If ur running it stock, it's probably a reliable gauge. But after modifying the tank, that thing is worthless

It's far from stock. Just trying to figure out why chamber 3 keeps dropping. I have the Tunze 9002 skimmer, inTanks media basket with filter floss, purigen and cheato in that order. I just did a water change Saturday and cleaned the blue sponge in 3 and changed out the filter floss and. I'm just understanding why all of a sudden. I can't see where there would be a blockage. I have the stock blue sponge there because of the cheato in the basket. I read I need to keep it there as to not harm the pump which was upgraded. Never has this issue before. Just started. As I said before I filled 3 again an it's dropping off once again. I went through half a gallon of distilled water. This is really bugging me.

I double checked for obstructions and couldn't find any. I cleaned the blue stock sponge again just for the... Of it. Still dropped a little. Also do I REALLY need that blue sponge? I have chaeto in the bottom tray and figured the sponge was stopping debris from entering the pump.

I guess maybe it's just gonna be one of those things... Hmmmmmm.....

How much does it take to refill? I add had a half a gallon of top off a day to my bio cube. It might be the amount of evaporation your tank goes through.

Bige said:
How much does it take to refill? I add had a half a gallon of top off a day to my bio cube. It might be the amount of evaporation your tank goes through.

Same as you today. Half a gallon. Guess its normal then. I just get over whatever with my tanks.

Well, I removed my blue sponge because it not only restricted flow but because every one claimed it produced nitrates. I don't know about that part though. I do know it's tough cleaning that sucker at a microbe level. I also have chaeto in my 2nd chamber. I keep a bag of chemi pure elite in the bottom that prevents any chaeto fm reaching the pump. And when I clean chamber 2, any macro that does reach the pump is stopped by the intake screen that came with my MJ 900. And any that might get by that won't b large enough to harm the pump. I say remove the sponge and use filter floss instead. The sponge was designed for the flow rate of the original pump and not an upgrade. It's pushing more water out of chamber 3 than its allowing to enter

Crabs said:
Well, I removed my blue sponge because it not only restricted flow but because every one claimed it produced nitrates. I don't know about that part though. I do know it's tough cleaning that sucker at a microbe level. I also have chaeto in my 2nd chamber. I keep a bag of chemi pure elite in the bottom that prevents any chaeto fm reaching the pump. And when I clean chamber 2, any macro that does reach the pump is stopped by the intake screen that came with my MJ 900. And any that might get by that won't b large enough to harm the pump. I say remove the sponge and use filter floss instead. The sponge was designed for the flow rate of the original pump and not an upgrade. It's pushing more water out of chamber 3 than its allowing to enter

Makes total sense! So just put filter floss in place of the stock sponge right? I'll do that now. I hate that stock sponge!! Your right so hard to clean. Filter floss I'll just toss it at every water change.

Back
Top Bottom