Water Parameters,Algae, and CO2 (Long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shogsten

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I'm looking for some comments/suggestions on my tank. I am in the process of converting a 150 gallon tank to a planted tank and not suprisingly I'm having a little trouble with algae. I've been keeping fish for almost 20 years and my fish tend to die of old age rather H2OQ issues. This is my first planted tank so I'm exploring new ground and I am certain that that my water parameters are out of whack.

Particulars (Tank converted to planted 3 weeks ago)
-150 gallon tank 72Hx18Wx28D
-4x96 watt AH Supply Compact Florescents
-100% Flourite Substrate 3 +/- inches
-11 hours of light 3 hours with 2x96, 6 hours with 4x96, 2 hours with 2x96
-Weekly 50% water changes - lightly vaccum - pump out the rest
-Weekly very light doses of Flourish <25% of reccomended dosage
-Plants (Cabomba, Hornwort (a lot of it), 2xCrypts, 2xAnnubias, 2xSmall Sword Plant)
- Fish - 5 oto's, 3 Cory Cats, 6 Serpae Tetras, 8 Black Tetras, 8 Silver tetras, 1 - 11 year old Zebra Danio

Water Parameters (before weekly water change)
PH 8.2 - 7.6 out of the tap - well water 7.7-7.8 after water change
Nitrate - 20 ppm
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
GH - 3 degrees
KH - 20 degrees (same as it comes of of the tap)
Phosphate >.5 ppm <1 ppm

When I converted the tank - I swapped out all of the substrate (lots of fun) and I had a little mini cycle of the Aquarium that took about two weeks to settle down which probably explains the high nitrates. I suspect that the nitrates are contributing to the algae problem and I think I may be short on micro-nutrients. When I put in the small dose of flourish I see a lot of plant growth (hornwort grows very fast when I do this) then an algae bloom. I am thinking of dosing the flourish in smaller ammount spread out over the week to see if that will get the plants going better.
I know that I probably need to start adding C02 but I am worried about the GH and KH causing some instability in the PH. Also I need to let the funds recover a bit from the lighting and flourite purchases.

Any advice/suggestions

Scott Hogsten

Sounds like a great tank.
Could some of your nitrate problems be a result of nitrates already present in your water? Just a thought.
Jeff

you need to get a Co2 system and it will bring your PH down to 6.8 to 7.0.
get a auto system its works the best. you can go to http://www.aquariumplant.com and they have all the CO2 stuff your need and they are having sales right now. on there auto PH meter that will control your Co2 for you. and they co2 regulator is on sale now also for like 55 bucks with bubble counter. its a good deal. once you do that your PH will stable out. you will only really need to check KH and GH. Co2 will not effect GH it effect PH. and if your KH gets low you just add a little baking soda and thats it..keep KH between 3 to 6 KH.
i keep mine around 6 KH. Hope this helps ya out..

Interesting point Jeff,

Whats the nitrate reading from your tap? Also, are you letting your tap water stand for 24hrs before testing? One last question. Have you identified the algae?

If its green algae, turn off your lights for a couple of hours in the middle of the light cycle. In example, ligths on 4hrs, off 2-3, on 3-5. Certainly algaes thrive in long periods of light.

If its a hair looking algae on the plants and decor. Possibly it might be a nitrate/nutrient inbalance. Your nitrates are a little high. Keep in mind you want to run your Phos/Nitrate at 1:10 (Phos .5-1, Nitra 5-10).

Let us know if your letting your taper water stand for 24hrs and what your Phos and Nitra are out of the tap.

50% weekly WC's (hope you have a pump 8O ) on a 150g tank with that small a bioload sounds like it might be the waters origin.

It's mostly green hair algae on the glass and a easily removed graygreen algae on the plants (almost looks like a lichen). Phos out of the tap is around .5 ppm ( well water in farm country), Ph is around 7.6 24hrs out of the tap, 7.5 immediately out of the tap.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom